Electric Ladyland review by Jimi Hendrix

• Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Jimi Hendrix: Electric Ladyland

My impression of the sound of Electric Ladyland by The Jimi Hendrix is as mixed as the musical collection on it. This album has some fantastic songs on it. But it also has some not so great songs that I find to be unnecessary filler, making the album longer than it needs to be. There are some great psychedelic tunes like Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland), Burning of the Midnight Lamp, 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be), and Moon Turn the Tides... Gently Gently Away. There are also some great rocking out tunes like Crosstown Traffic, All Along the Watchtower, and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). There's also the epic blues masterpiece, Voodoo Chile. The rest the songs I wasn't too crazy about. Because the album has such an eclectic variety, it's hard to pinpoint it down and say that it's sound is great or not. I like some of them. Love some of them. Don't care for the rest. There's enough of them that I do like that tells me this album is great. The lead guitar playing on this album is phenomenal. Probably the best of Jimi's releases. Mitch and Noel are also tight and have some good moments from each. Because of the presence of some not so great songs in my opinion, I can't give it a perfect 10. Since I basically like half and don't like the other half, I would give it a straight 5. But I will add two points for great band cohesion and lead guitar playing.

The lyrics on this album don't particularly stand out to me in any way. They aren't horrible, but I don't think they are great by any means. I find most of them uninteresting and I don't really pay much attention to them. It depends on the song though. Some of the more psychedelic and trans-like songs have better lyrics. Jimi's singing is the same as always, a deep and masculine voice to compliment the rhythm playing.

Compared to Are You Experienced and Axis: Bold as Love, I rate this as 3rd behind the other two with Axis first and Experienced second. Of course, Jimi only released a few albums, so 3rd isn't all too bad. And even though it is third, it has some fantastic music on it. The most impressive songs on this album, to me, are Voodoo Chile, Burning of the Midnight Lamp, 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be), Moon Turn the Tides.... Gently Gently Away, and Voodoo Child (Slight Return). What I love about this album is the powerful lead guitar playing and the great songs on it. What I don't like is the not as good filler songs that drag the album on at points. Sometimes I skip most of the album to get to the songs I'm in the mood for at the time, which is what tends to happen with me when I am listening to an album with a variety of song types and moods as this one has.