Live At Woodstock [DVD] review by Jimi Hendrix

• Released: Sep 13, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
Jimi Hendrix: Live At Woodstock [DVD]

As many people know, Jimi's band at Woodstock wasn't the original setup of the band. Noel Redding had been replaced by Jimi's friend Billy Cox, a second guitarist named Larry Lee was added along with two percussionist named Jerry Velez and Juma Sultan, and with Jimi still on guitar and vocals, Mitch Mitchell continued his drumming magic. This band was not The Experience, but rather Gypsy Sun & Rainbows. As far as the sound went, it was recorded very well, especially for the date. Everything could be hear well as the band jammed through 15 different songs, including Jimi's renown version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and the encore "Hey Joe" to end the 3 Great Days. Hendrix is a very unique player who has many different styles of play, varying between hard rock and blues. You see the band's harder side in "Fire" and "Purple Haze," where Jimi's wailing on his axe. At other times the group will slow down with songs such as "Red House" and "Hear My Train A Comin'". And in "Jam Back At The House" you can hear a mixture of genres as the group starts with a catchy riff before unexpectly, but smoothly, transitioning into a Ten Years After-resembling blues jam. Recorded in 1969, the sound is still amazing. With a nice sized TV and some surround-sound speakers, you'd think you were at the concert.

Content — 9
This DVD is obviously a live recording of Jimi Hendrix and his band Gypsy Sun & Rainbows at Woodstock '69. While it can't be called a "best of" DVD, it does have a lot of Jimi's more well-known songs including "Purple Haze," "Fire" and "Hey Joe." The DVD includes everything that Jimi played while at the concert, everything in full color except "Hear My Train A Comin'", which was filmed in black and white due to poor footage from colored cameras. While it doesn't exactly include a lot of extra features, there is a pre-concert intro that last for a good 7-10 minutes, full of interviews about the concert from people who were there, played in it, or were friends of Jimi's. This little section allows you to know more about the events of Woodstock.

Production Quality — 9
For what there was available in 1969, the production of this concert is very well done. Everything was filmed well, with occasional wanderings of the camera where it would pan into the audience or else not have a good angle upon the musicians. Despite this, you could obviously still hear the sound, which was always excellent. Because there were numerous cameras filming the events, multiple shots were continually blended together so that one shot would slowly stream into another.

Compared to the DVDs of other artists I've watched (Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, The Woodstock DVD, along with a few others), this is probably the oldest I've seen. Yet, everything is great. Production quality is excellent, sound is superb; this is a great DVD. The most impressive thing about this DVD is being able to watch a legendary player perform live at a legendary concert and being able to see all that he did there along with watching some interviews about the concert. If someone stole this DVD I'd f--k them up. If it was lost I'd be pissed. Either way, I'd buy another one of these baby's once I'd got the money. This DVD pwns.