Live At Woodstock [DVD] review by Jimi Hendrix

• Released: Sep 13, 2005
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 8
Jimi Hendrix: Live At Woodstock [DVD]

This was, by far, the Band Of Gypsies' best performance. And it wa their first! The percussionists are barely audible, but they give a formidable effort. Billy Cox has a superbly funky bassline that'd make anybody cry. Mitch Mitchell, as always, was brilliant. Hendrix gave arguably his best-ever performance in front of the depleted Woodstock crowd on Day 4. Whenever the disc gets to "Star Spangled Banner," hair stands on my arms. It's truely a musical masterpiece, with or without acid. I nominate that instrumental as one of the Top 10 greatest pieces of music in American music history, but that's just me.

Content — 8
For a live concert album, this had amazing sound quality. Jimi plays his best hits, with the notable exceptions of Bob Dylan's "All along the Watchtower" and "The Wind Cries Mary." His encore of "Hey Joe" is amazing, and it was the perfect way to end the (4) days of peace, love, and harmony. The interview on disc 2 given 2 weeks after the performance is pretty good for Hendrix. He's as incoherent as ever, but he does give a few rational thoughts in there. And the "Road To Woodstock" chapter before the actual concert is fantastic, as is the black-and-white alternate view.

Production Quality — 8
Nothing particularly spectacular to report production-wise. They could've used more shots of Jimi's lightning-quick finger work, but with what they had they did a fantastic job.

I haven't gotten the chance to see Hendrix's other big-time DVD, "Blue Wild Angel: Live At The Isle Of Wight." But compared to "The Song Remains The Same" by Led Zeppelin, this is far better. The most impressive thing on this DVD is the overall sound and visual quality with the eqipment they had. Michael Wadleigh really got the most out of the instruments he had all the way through the concert. I love the DVD as a whole. There's nothing to hate. If it were lost in any way, I'd buy it again for sure. Great film, great performance, great DVD.