Live At Woodstock [DVD] Review

artist: Jimi Hendrix date: 08/19/2006 category: compact discs
Jimi Hendrix: Live At Woodstock [DVD]
Release Date: September 13, 2005
This 2-DVD set contains the most of the performance that Jimi played as the headliner of the Woodstock festival, as compared to the double CD released, the only song missing on this DVD is Hear My Train A Comin'.
 Content: 8.8
 Production Quality: 7.8
Live At Woodstock [DVD] Reviewed by: TheHeartbreaker, on december 10, 2005

Sound: As many people know, Jimi's band at Woodstock wasn't the original setup of the band. Noel Redding had been replaced by Jimi's friend Billy Cox, a second guitarist named Larry Lee was added along with two percussionist named Jerry Velez and Juma Sultan, and with Jimi still on guitar and vocals, Mitch Mitchell continued his drumming magic. This band was not The Experience, but rather Gypsy Sun & Rainbows. As far as the sound went, it was recorded very well, especially for the date. Everything could be hear well as the band jammed through 15 different songs, including Jimi's renown version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" and the encore "Hey Joe" to end the 3 Great Days. Hendrix is a very unique player who has many different styles of play, varying between hard rock and blues. You see the band's harder side in "Fire" and "Purple Haze," where Jimi's wailing on his axe. At other times the group will slow down with songs such as "Red House" and "Hear My Train A Comin'". And in "Jam Back At The House" you can hear a mixture of genres as the group starts with a catchy riff before unexpectly, but smoothly, transitioning into a Ten Years After-resembling blues jam. Recorded in 1969, the sound is still amazing. With a nice sized TV and some surround-sound speakers, you'd think you were at the concert. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to the DVDs of other artists I've watched (Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, The Woodstock DVD, along with a few others), this is probably the oldest I've seen. Yet, everything is great. Production quality is excellent, sound is superb; this is a great DVD. The most impressive thing about this DVD is being able to watch a legendary player perform live at a legendary concert and being able to see all that he did there along with watching some interviews about the concert. If someone stole this DVD I'd f--k them up. If it was lost I'd be pissed. Either way, I'd buy another one of these baby's once I'd got the money. This DVD pwns. // 10

Live At Woodstock [DVD] Reviewed by: NY773, on december 13, 2005

Sound: This was, by far, the Band Of Gypsies' best performance. And it wa their first! The percussionists are barely audible, but they give a formidable effort. Billy Cox has a superbly funky bassline that'd make anybody cry. Mitch Mitchell, as always, was brilliant. Hendrix gave arguably his best-ever performance in front of the depleted Woodstock crowd on Day 4. Whenever the disc gets to "Star Spangled Banner," hair stands on my arms. It's truely a musical masterpiece, with or without acid. I nominate that instrumental as one of the Top 10 greatest pieces of music in American music history, but that's just me. // 9

Overall Impression: I haven't gotten the chance to see Hendrix's other big-time DVD, "Blue Wild Angel: Live At The Isle Of Wight." But compared to "The Song Remains The Same" by Led Zeppelin, this is far better. The most impressive thing on this DVD is the overall sound and visual quality with the eqipment they had. Michael Wadleigh really got the most out of the instruments he had all the way through the concert. I love the DVD as a whole. There's nothing to hate. If it were lost in any way, I'd buy it again for sure. Great film, great performance, great DVD. // 10

Live At Woodstock [DVD] Reviewed by: Garf72, on january 28, 2006

Sound: This DVD is a must have for any Hendrix fan or for anyone who appreciates good music. The whole thing has been remastered by his engineer, Eddie Kramer, from the original recordings from the show, and it sounds like it was recorded yesterday, not 37 years ago. The guitar stands out clearly with Billy Cox (bass), Larry Lee (rhythm guitar) and Mitch Mitchell (drums) all adding their own touches to the mix. There were 2 percussionists playing too, but I was unable to make them out behind it all, which isn't bad as it sounded perfect already. It's Hendrix at his best, playing on top form and jamming with the best of them. // 9

Overall Impression: It's Jimi Hendrix, at Woodstock. Incomparable to other DVDs, it is simply astounding. The show itself is very well played and is presented here at a very high standard. The best thing about this DVD is the main show. It is played to perfection and raises the bar for live bands everywhere. If I lost this DVD, or it was stolen, I would buy it again without thinking twice. // 10

Live At Woodstock [DVD] Reviewed by: SRV16, on august 19, 2006

Sound: The Band Of Gypsys played some mind blowing music, amazing stuff, blues and rock played at its best, no real story but there was a short introduction and some scenes of people enjoying themselves at Woodstock. Blues and rock styles played brilliantly and some guitar played behind head and with teeth. They completely unplanned jammed near the end and it was awesome, Jimi was awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: Its one of my favourite concerts except for Led Zeppelin song remains the same, the most impressive part was voodoo child, I loved all the songs but I hated that it had to end. I would buy it again, I like knowing I can watch it whenever I want. My overall impression was that it was awesome. // 9