Valleys Of Neptune review by Jimi Hendrix

• Released: Mar 9, 2010
Jimi Hendrix: Valleys Of Neptune

As well all know, new Hendrix material is always a treat. This is no exception. Valleys of Neptune is a compilation, if you will, of unreleased Hendrix recordings, some live, some studio. The thing that sets this album apart from his other work is that it is quite different. It still has Hendrix written all over it but theres a different approach to the music. The production was excellent and the songs were nothing short of amazing. The only beef i have, and its not a big deal, but the live versions they picked for Stone Free and Red House weren't the best. But that's just my opinion.

Hendrix's lyrics have always been somewhat mysterious. He always seems to have the smarts to make some of the weirdest and most off the wall lyrics amazing and inspirational. His music always flows. In Valleys of Neptune, its no different. There is a nice groove that he puts in his songs that make it hard to stop listening to. Overall the lyrics just sound like Hendrix wrote them. But that's typical Hendrix.

I am very pleased with this album. The production is crisp and it sounds great. A few of my personal favorite songs on the album are Valleys of Neptune, Sunshine of Your Love, Fire, and Bleeding Heart. One thing I really dig about the album is that all the songs have a really cool groove. The bass and drums really flow nicely and Hendrix's rippin' leads make this a great listen. One thing I don't really care for too much is the live versions of the songs that were picked. They are awesome don't get me wrong but they don't stand up to the performance at Woodstock (which to be honest would be hard to do). All in all go pick up this album. I bought it for about $11-$12 I think. Its a great listen from Stone Free to Crying Blue Rain. It's Definitely worth the money.

SMoD
    SilverHammer :O wrote: I love how the first review explains how the songs off of Valleys of Nepture are pretty much all already released, and then the second one totally disregards that and calls the trackes "unreleased". lol
    lol yeah my favorite part is how you spells "tracks" wrong
    IAMTHEHATED
    SilverHammer :O wrote: 1970SGFU wrote: SilverHammer :O : I love how the first review explains how the songs off of Valleys of Nepture are pretty much all already released, and then the second one totally disregards that and calls the trackes "unreleased". lol they're all previously unreleased recordings, whether its new material or otherwise. Uhmmm no. Check your facts. I've heard half of those songs.
    Yes, but they're unreleased versions of the songs you've heard
    Music_Eater
    gota love
    led led ledfendy c.c.c....
    deprofanity
    I just gotta say i love this album, the new versions of the songs are jammy, which sounds amazing, something similar to what youd hear at a live show, best album of 2010 so far
    Skagasm
    some of you are stupid, some of the tracks have been already heard on other albums but those individual recordings are unreleased to the non bootleg searchers, its a pretty decent album not my fav but def not the worst ive heard hendrix if you want that that look u hendrix and jim morrison in morrison jam lol thats complete shit
    ZA58
    best review I think I ever took the time to read I guest wished that Valleys of NEptune was better
    LTD-F-250
    I like it a lot, a lot of instrumental jams going on in the middle of songs, but still sounds awesome
    danleary
    A lot of the "unreleased" songs are just early versions of what would become songs later released on Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love. It's still a cool album, but I'm not impressed with this release. It would be like another artist releasing demo versions of songs they already released on prior albums.
    fLYinGV23
    I liked this, but I must admit I was a bit annoyed with the amount of songs that I've already heard on it.
    jdl2
    It's a great release, well produced, always a joy to listen to Jimi. If you're a real Hendirx fan, Buy it, if not, why are you reading this?
    iSlash
    Yes, some songs are already released but there are a few songs that haven't been released at all in any form by Hendrix.
    dobby240
    awesome im just getting in to hendrix little by little ill check this one soon enough if i can dig a copy out of somewere
    Paramecium302
    Tyler Durden wrote: great album, love the fact that its not "polished", has a real nice vibe to it...
    exactly, its Jimi - PURE uncut Jimi
    l3xbi
    I love it, a nice album. But it's really weird hearing him with such a smooth modern mix.
    Dabobble
    I got this at Target for 9.98 and it had 2 exclusive tracks. I agree with the reviews about it not bein as fleshed out and polished as his other works but isnt that why theyre unreleased? If not they'd be on Electric Ladyland. It's well worth the buy imo.
    SilverHammer :O
    1970SGFU
    i think alot of the songs on this album probably were not released for a reason, but im sure jimi could've worked his studio magic and turned them into masterpieces. i dont think this album deserves a 6, i mean it is new hendrix, and although songs like stone free, bleeding heart, etc. are all better on previously released live recordings, they are still great sounding here. i think the new songs are very cool too, extremely jammy, and im sure if it was not for his untimely death, they would've made for ridiculous live tracks.
    Mystro810
    Hey, its unheard Hendrix' music, its priceless treasure. Whether its new songs or not they are mostly unheard recordings, and there are only so many Hendrix recordings in the world. The highlight of the album for me is a version of "Train a Comin" that is just great.
    1970SGFU
    SilverHammer :O
    Uhmmm no. Check your facts. I've heard half of those songs.
    3 days grace14
    personnely i hate listening to remastered hendrix uncle has original releases so thats the sound i crave when i listen to jimi
    jthm_guitarist
    1970SGFU wrote: they're all previously unreleased recordings, whether its new material or otherwise.
    Seriously? This is the NINTH posthumous studio album of "unreleased material." I'm no Hendrix collector, but even I have over half the tracks on this album.