Rebirth Review

Jimmy Cliff: Rebirth
Released: Jul 16, 2012
Genre: Reggae
Label: Universal, Sunpower, Hip-O
Rebirth is an album by reggae artist Jimmy Cliff released in July 2012, it was his first new album in eight years.
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Rebirth Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on january 19, 2015

Sound: Jimmy Cliff is without a doubt the most recognizable figure in reggae music alive today, so, when I saw his latest offering, "Rebirth" on Rolling Stone magazine's list of best albums of 2012, the only thing I could think was "really?". After all, Rolling Stone's best albums of the year usually consist of pop, a few mainstream established rock acts and possibly 4 or 5 things that aren't that. I decided to check it out, and I was pleasantly surprised. This album easily earned the praise it got. It's solid, a consistently enjoyable, if interestingly old-fashioned sounding piece of music. And there's a Rancid cover. Yes, Jimmy Cliff does a version of "Ruby Soho." He also covers The Clash on this album, but other than that, it's all original songs. // 10

Lyrics: I don't often listen to reggae, but from what I have heard of the genre in general, I will assume this album has fairly standard lyrical themes. These themes would be: reggae music itself, the state of the world, love and survival. So, nothing much a diversion from the normal, as far as I can tell (feel free to correct me in the comments below, if by chance I'm wrong). Jimmy Cliff has a good voice. It packs a lot of feeling, soul, without sounding like it strains him much to sing, even at his age. He also has a really solid group of background singers, when you hear them sprinkled throughout the album, it just works. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, like I said earlier, I don't listen to reggae music often, but I know who Jimmy Cliff is and I have enjoyed everything I've heard from him so far in my life and "Rebirth" is no exception. It's always nice to hear a legend put out an album worthy of his time. There's not anything I would say I hate about this album. There's not really anything that could be deemed "filler" or a similar term. Though there are a few standout tracks (the previously mentioned cover of "Ruby Soho" comes to mind), even the weakest tracks on the album aren't of much lower quality than the highlights. One thing I will say surprises me though, is that UG has no Jimmy Cliff CD reviews! // 10

Comments