Chase This Light review by Jimmy Eat World

• Released: Oct 16, 2007
Jimmy Eat World: Chase This Light

Jimmy Eat World's new album is a lot softer and more mellow than what you may be used to from the singles on the radio. This is the first album of their's I have, and I was expected more of a punch to the album. "Big Casino" was a hell of a single, and easily the heaviest song on the record, and since "Big Casino" isn't really that heavy to begin with, you can imagine how the other songs may sound. There's nothing on this album along the lines of "Bleed American," "Pain," or even "Sweetness." This album is very mellow; good kick-back music. If you're a fan of heavy music you don't have to steer clear from this album, because I normally listen to heavy, riff-driven rock 'n roll. If you like Jimmy Eat World, chances are you won't be disappointed.

Jimmy Eat World normally has pretty solid lyrics. They write ballads on this album, emotional songs, and even a melancholy song (Gotta Be Somebody's Blues) that at first I wasn't sure what to think of it, but it grew on me like you wouldn't believe. Jim Adkins also is able to express lots of emotion into the music, more so than most singers in this day and age in my opinion. Also, you'll find yourself singing along most of the time. "Electable (Give It Up)" and "Let it Happen" have choruses that are almost impossible to not sing along with. I like that in a band. The music tends to get through better and connects with you more.

This is a good, solid album on the alternative/pop side of things. The punk elements that were in Jimmy Eat World before are practically gone I this album, except for maybe "Electable," and that's a longshot. "Big Casino" is the best song in my opinion, but the other close favorites for me are "Let it Happen," "Electable," and "Gotta Be Somebody's Blues." All the other songs are good, just not mega-good. The irony to me behind this album is the fact that the title track "Chase This Light" is my least favorite song on the album. However, this is a CD that I would re-purchase if it was gone one day, and my computer and MP3 player crashed. The main thing to remember if you're deciding to get this album is that it is mellower than the other stuff they have done.

NoScOrp
    I thought I-Empire by Angels And Airwaves was my album of 2007 but Chase This Light is jsut Epic.. i love it
    Philip1982
    Just got into Jimmy Eat World...had barely heard of them until about a month ago!!! How did I miss them, great band. Can't get Always Be out of my head, not listened fully to Chase This Light yet, but really like Bleed American.