Clarity review by Jimmy Eat World

• Released: Feb 23, 1999
Jimmy Eat World: Clarity

Jimmy eat world's second full-length album after their self titled album is probaly the best one ever. In this album, the band have used Alternative and emo rock as well as normal rock. Although not one of the genres of the album, there is some pop-punk used in songs such as Crush. This album is something to listen to when you are excited, sad, angry or just wanting to sleep. This is what forms the Emo genre of the album! The balladry is high in this album, and is used in songs such as A sunday, 12.23.95 and Just you watch the fireworks. Emotion is very high in songs such as Crush, Clarity (the title track), Ten and Believe in what you want.

This album probaly has the best lyrics in any Jimmy eat world album. They are easier to remember than a lot of other albums, as they are repeated quite a lot. In some cases, being repetitive does not make an annoying song, and this is one of them. Songs that include lyrics stressed enough to help people learn them include Ten, Table for glasses, Lucky denver mint, blister and A sunday. The singer, Jimmy Atkins, is not terrible. One of his bad points is he holds on some of the lyrics too long and it eventually gets annoying, this mainly happens in Table for glasses and blister.

Clarity does compare to Comfort in sound (feeder) in the sense it has soft ballads and a keyboard playing. The non-comparable side is the fact that there is also guitars playing along with the keyboards. The most impressive songs from the album are Your new anesthetic, Crush, Ten, For me this is heaven and the title track of the album. I would get this album again if it was stolen or lost.

Covin
    pisses me off that one review says it's the ultimate "emo" album. There's nothing emo on this album, this album is a masterpiece
    inefficiency
    This stuff was emo before emo became what it is today. This is REAL emo, the watered down, bland shit you hearevry time you turn on the TV is NEW emo. You guys like At The Drive-In? THEY WERE AN EMO BAND. The roots of emo are kickass, its just a shame it turned into what it is today...
    blinnk16
    Jimmy Eat World is an old school Emo band, deal with it. They're good anyways.
    edibledevilboy
    Right on inefficiency - Jimmy Eat World were one of the first (and greatest) Emo bands - what you see today is fashioncore (My chemical Romance, Aiden etc...) Which sells through image, though isn't necessarily bad music like you suggest. Anyway this is one of the best albums of all time. or atleast my collection...
    blinnk16
    Yeah, they are an old school emo band, and one of the greatest, the new emo is alright, but doesn't compare to this.. This album is very great, I reccomend it to anyone who isn't crazy over what's new and popular. Good music is Good music.
    seijo_hxc
    This album is real emo, term that has been pissed off nowadays. F*cking masterpiece...
    seijo_hxc
    Zell182 you may prefer some ''crappy emo'' by Simple Plan, or anyshit else.
    makeseven
    emo hasnt always been what it is today. do some research on 90s emo and you will see it isnt bad. jimmy eat world recognizes that they are NOT today's emo or any sort of emo anymore. Jim himself said he is sick of being called emo. Blister was sung by former lead/now backup singer Tom Linton.
    chavezguitarist
    this is a great album. i wonder why people classified this as emo,it is just slow rock,emo would be simple plan,my chemical romance,tokyo hotel(jotol),etc
    chavezguitarist
    i play guitar and i think clarity would be my 4th or 5th favourite song because #1 is one of metallica but is still a very,very good made album. when i hear it i relax a bit then think of new techniques of playing,if you listen carefully to teh song 'believe in what you want″ you can hear the famous elephant sound, you should hear more closely to songs
    Zell182
    I like jimmy eat world but this album nearly made me fall asleep and what's with the 16 minute crappy song at the end???? only good song is lucky denver mint