Futures review by Jimmy Eat World

• Released: Oct 19, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Jimmy Eat World: Futures

In an interview I recently read, one of the members of Jimmy Eat World described Futures as a Clarity 2. What a lie. Futures is nothing like Clarity. But it's good for what it is. Slick and shiny, with very simple guitar parts that sound good in the song. The harder songs ("Nothing Wrong") are nowhere near as hard as Static Prevails, and the slower "expansive" songs ("Drugs Or Me") aren't as lovely as some songs on Clarity, but it's a good CD to put on when you need something radio-friendly to listen to.

The lyrics are okay in a lot of the songs on Futures because they sound good with the music (like all other Jimmy Eat World songs). However, sometimes the lyrics are extremely bad and lame (i.e. "The World You Love" and "Night Drive"). In addition, Jim Adkins voice is almost too whiney. I miss the days when he and tom sang the same amount of songs on a CD.

The best thing about buying Futures for me was finding Goodbye Sky Harbour - Live At La Scala on the website of the enhanced CD. A song that I always found to be unlistenable is now my favourite Jimmy Eat World song. As for the actual album, I'd say it's their worst or second-worst but it's Jimmy Eat World so it's still good. Favourite songs: Just Tonight and 23, least favourite songs - The World You Love and Drugs Or Me. If it was stolen, well, it's on my computer so it wouldn't really matter. Now if my computer was stolen I'd cry or something.