Invented review by Jimmy Eat World

• Released: Sep 28, 2010
Jimmy Eat World: Invented

For long-time Jimmy Eat World fans this album will be both refreshing and familiar. The opening song, Heart is Hard to Find, begins with a persistent acoustic guitar strum and accompanying hand-claps that eventually leads into an epic orchestrated conclusion, serving as an exceptional beginning to the album. Right away the listener can recognize the signature JEW style on the album such as the balance of softer (Cut, Mixtape, Heart is Hard to Find) and heavier tracks (My Best Theory, Action Needs An Audience). While Invented features some decent guitar work, it does not however, pack quite the punch that tracks off of earlier albums did (see Bleed American or Futures). Nonetheless, the musicianship of guitarists Jim Adkins and Tom Linton is still top notch as expected. Some tracks do have intricate musicianship though, and in Movielike there is some really nice guitar work interwoven with a vocal break after the solo. The first single, My Best Theor, also features a catch main guitar riff and a short but sweet solo.

The vocals on the album are very well-done and a lot of background vocals are used to add creative additions and also work well with Jim Adkins' voice. There are a lot of female back up vocals (from Courtney Marie Andrews and Rachel Haden)and on tracks like Stop, it works really well. The lyrics on this album are nothing too revolutionary in respect to JEW's other material and the same nostalgia and emotional outbursts can be found here. Some clever lyrics include those from the opening track Heart Is Hard to Find: "I can't compete with your new-found religion The good word seems everywhere But good words only" Overall the vocals and lyrics are what one would expect from Jimmy Eat World.

The overall atmosphere of the album shows many signs of the Clarity album (which is arguably their best work) especially with the title track and songs like Cut and Mixtape. The most impressive song on the album is the title track. It starts off with a slow acoustic riff and drum beat that escalates into one of the most explosive sections in any JEW song and then back to the slower outro, making a near perfect song that any fan of Clarity will appreciate. The other most notable tracks are Heart is Hard to Find, Mixtape, Coffee and Cigarettes, and Movielike. This album is everything that most JEW fans would expect from them, and though it is no Clarity or Bleed American, it still deserves a listen.

everjump
    Love the new album, not as good as Futures IMHO, but still great! Very fair and good review I would also add "Littlething" to the notable tracks -list
    elcapitan1800
    Kind of disappointed actually, hopefully it will grow on me. I LOVE their last three albums, this one just hasnt hooked me in the same way
    aarontown69
    It is and isn't signature Jimmy Eat World. The album lacks the faster tracks (like what pain did for futures or get it faster/bleed american did for bleed american) and is overall quite mellow. But they are amazing and can make that work. If you have been listening for a while you could definately have seen this style of album coming from them. Don't know why Higher Devotion isn't in ur notable tracks.
    Barrol.Rell
    zadayzaday wrote: lol did you seriously call it the signature JEW style?
    Indeed he did, and you bet your ass I lol'd. I'm not a huge Jimmy Eat World fan, but I clicked this review just to see if it was going to be an abbreviation writer. And it was.
    Zell182
    It can't be worse than Chase This Light so I'll give it a listen.
    Private Eye
    theBaartMan wrote: Nothing will match "Bleed American"
    I am normally annoyed by the cries of "they'll never live to their older stuff" but JEW is one of the few cases I absolutely have to agree. Bleed American is one of my favorite albums of all time. Don't love or hate Invented at the moment, but it's 4th on my list for them at best behind Bleed American, Clarity, and even Futures.
    kylepianoman
    I hated chase this light, this is a step back in the right direction... I do miss their clarity to stay on my side styles though
    patsy_s88
    this album is immediately better than Chase This Light, and I think it holds well against Futures and BA. Wouldn't say it's better than either, but definitely a great album. Cut is a fantastic song.
    stephaniemina
    This week's 102.1 the Edge Thursday 30 rockin auction item is a signed guitar and t-shirt by the fabulous Jimmy Eat World (Thanks Universal Music Canada!) visit www.warchild.ca/auction to get your bid in now and contribute to helping rebuild the lives of children devastated by war.
    javi_bassist
    I had to listen to it twice to really enjoy it.I miss some faster songs,but I love it.It sounds great