The Inevitable Album Review

Jinkx Monsoon: The Inevitable Album
Released: May 6, 2014
Genre: Vocal Jazz, Pop
Label: Sidecar Records
Jerick Hoffer, or his stage name "Jinkx Monsoon," winner of "Rupaul's Drag Race" 5th season. There's nothing similar to any music of a drag queen released in the last 10 years.
 8.4
 7.7
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Inevitable Album Reviewed by: Mnstrk, on october 10, 2015

Sound: Jerick Hoffer, or his stage name "Jinkx Monsoon," winner of "Rupaul's Drag Race" 5th season, as almost every winner of the show and contestants, released this album in May 6th of 2014. And you may ask, why am I reviewing a Drag Queen? Simple, Jinkx, unlike any other drag racer who released an album lately, there's a real meaning in each and every of these 15 tracks, instead of trashy, void and meaningless pop/dance/dubstep/trap songs that most of drag queens gave us.

Jinkx brings back such a classic burlesque music style, while I listen to this record, I can almost see the ladies back in the wild west times, dancing along to the songs with those big dresses and exaggerated makeup. The pianos, the drums, the chord patterns, everything about the instrumentals and harmonies are excellent, and I'm so, so, SO impressed to listen to a drag queen doing this. Some songs will make you dance even if you don't want to, so chearing up. Some of them will leave you with deep toughts though. She's (or he's) singing skills are awesome, one of the few drag queens who can actually sing, and she does really, REALLY well enough. // 9

Lyrics: There is comedy, there is meaning, there is sadness, there is almost everything in this record, and all of that works really well together. Her voice is really powerful, high notes, screams, low voices, it never gets annoying at all. I'm totally impressed. She'll might make you laugh a lot of times with a bunch of fun songs, so you can chill at the time a sad song arrives, so, use some really decent speakers or headphones please. Like I said, there's a real meaning and heart in all of the lyrics, that's something you'll rarely see coming from a Drag Queen. She/he is very talented, but what a shame Drag Queens are not taken so seriously as artist. // 9

Overall Impression: There's nothing similar to any music of a drag queen released in the last 10 years, I assure you that.

The songs you just can't skip or miss in this record are:
- "My Heart Belongs to Daddy"
- "Hold On"
- "Coffee & Wine"
- "Creep"

And the rest, give them a try! Go to Spotify and look for yourselves, there's nothing I can hate in this record. I'm not even a fan, I was just curious and I got my mind blown. Like they say: "Beauty can be found in strange places..." // 9

Comments