Unvarnished review by Joan Jett And The Blackhearts

• Released: Sep 30, 2013
Joan Jett And The Blackhearts: Unvarnished

Joan Jett has had an illustrious career in the breakneck world known as the music business. From her time with the all-female group, The Runaways, to her long career with her solo outfit, The Blackhearts, Joan has been able to establish herself as the queen of rock and roll for her looks, her grit, and her bada-s, punk voice. Just in case you forgot, Jett is the one who made "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" famous. "Unvarnished" is Joan Jett's tenth studio album with the Blackhearts, who currently consist of Thommy Price, Dougie Needles, and Acey Slade. And just to feed the UG obsession, Dave Grohl co-wrote and played on the first song, "Any Weather (606 Version)." For this album, I was given a pre-release listening of a sort; I saw Jett play live a couple of months ago and she played many of the songs from this album. This album sounds better in studio than live, which may seem surprising given the type of music that Joan Jett & The Blackhearts play. The music felt ruder and the energy more cleverly directed on the album than when played live because of, I would assume (and hope), Joan's age. In addition, when played next to the songs that made Joan Jett & The Blackhearts famous, this album doesn't quite level up. But, then again, "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" is a tough song to follow; she probably won't come out with anything that good again. And, if this trail is followed a bit more, she did not even write "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" to begin with. Once the listener allows this album to come out from under the shadow of Joan Jett's handful of hits, most of which are covers anyway, this album is not that bad. Even though it isn't incredible, this album is solid. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts stick to the standard verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-chorus structure and get a good, hummable song each time. Of course, some of the songs are better than others are, and to this end, the best songs are "Reality Mentality," "Make It Back," and "Bad as We Can Be." The guitar work on the album is above average for Jett's genre of music; good old rock and roll with a hint of punk thrown in. Excluding the ballad used to conclude the album, guitar riffs that match the vocal lines, palm muted open strings during the verses, first position pentatonic solos, and yes, a plethora of power chords are the full extent of the guitar work. The fact that one can count the guitar techniques used on the fingers of one hand does not demean the album in the slightest. Many classic albums have been made using only these techniques, sometimes less. Joan Jett & The Blackhearts use these techniques to create riffs, solos, and songs that are rawer versions of "Talk Dirty to Me." To sum this all up in one word, the music is fun.

Joan has and has always had a very distinctive voice. While she has lost some of the grit that can be heard on her earlier material, she retains most of what makes her unique. For a Joan Jett vocal performance, this album is average. Joan doesn't show an incredible drop in flair that would suggest that her career has kicked the bucket, but she just doesn't match her performance on her earlier material. Lyrically, the album has its vicissitudes (look it up). Most of the lyrics until the final two songs utilize cheap rhyme schemes that pay little attention to the music they're playing over ("Reality Mentality" is still fun though). The last two songs, "Different" and "Everybody Needs a Hero" have heartfelt, meaningful lyrics. "Different" appears to be inspired by bullying and gives hope to the victims of it. "Everybody Needs a Hero" has average ballad lyrics but they match the song well and her vocal tone makes it seem real compared to many of the other songs where the lyrics are O.K. but she sacrifices them to make a catchy tune.

Listeners who are fans of Joan Jett will be pleased with this album. Those who are not familiar with her will become acquainted with her unique brand of punk/hard rock that harkens back to a time when music was bare bones; made to get the crowd to have fun and not to make their jaws drop at the speed and technical prowess of the music. Each one of the songs on this album is catchy, but only a couple are great as a whole. The best song, by a wide margin is "Reality Mentality." Honorable mentions go to "Bad as We Can Be" and "Everybody Needs a Hero." Honestly, this album isn't incredible, it isn't career changing, and it isn't going to be a bestseller. But, it does take the listener back a couple of decades to my favorite era in music, and that deserves a medal all on its own.

twine127
    Ummm are you saying I love Rock N Roll rips off ACDC's Back in Black? I love Rock N Roll was a song by the Arrows from 1975.....maybe ACDC ripped off the Arrows. Oh wait you thought Joan Jett wrote that song, AwesomeOne indeed!
    AwesomeOne3
    Well sorry for not hearing that the arrows did originally write it. When you hear the title of song I love Rock n Roll, you think Joan Jett, who people thought she wrote it.
    freetotheworld1
    Good old fashioned rock and roll. Not the best, but I like it.
    AwesomeOne3
    I don't see why people like Joan Jett. She just ripped off Back In Black. If you look it up it's almost the exact same chords as Back IN Black. Don't Believe me, LOOK IT UP!
    12 string dave
    Dude it's all been done before. How many songs are written with e/c/d/g or d/a/g or varients of this? There are only so many progressions in rock, especialy in this style. If you want different and unheard progressions you're going to be listening to alot of Yoko Ono type material.
    AwesomeOne3
    But if you listen to the song closely enough it sounds just like Back In Black. Back In Black is way better than I Love Rock N Roll. Back In Black uses those chords better.
    vahidchristians
    AwesomeOne3, Did you author Back and Black? That idea is preposterous. The melody for "I love Rock-n-Roll" no way follows that of Back in Black.
    mark.webb.52035
    This album is one of my favorites. I totally disagree with the reviewer's downplay of the lyrics - I don't quite get where he is coming from with that opinion. This album is cool and rocks hard; and has pretty useful messages. Joan Jett has always used hard, powerful guitar riffs and chords -- and I've always liked that. Joan is also ALWAYS been kinda "easy on the eyes"...