Demonocracy review by Job for a Cowboy

• Released: Apr 10, 2012
Job for a Cowboy: Demonocracy

Every song on "Demonocracy" is phenomenal. If you like newer death metal this is for you. There is an excellent mix of old school and black metal, which can be heard throughout the while album. The riffs and vokills are excellent. I have been listening to death metal for almost three decades and this album is easily top ten. The only downside to JFAC is they have been through a ton of line up changes and sometimes that can kill a band. This line up seems very solid and capable, so hopefully they stay together.

The lyrics is awesome! Here is a snippet from "Black Discharge"... "the blood fueling and carelessly weaving every lifeless object that you and I adore and yearn. Texas Tea bubbling beneath us is becoming the bastard stepchild of the lil tycoon... " I would say that fits pretty tightly with the what this album is about. "Democracy" is Definitely demonic. Jonny Davy not only writes some badass lyrics, he is polished in his delivery and very brutal. The other songs on this joint are equally awesome.

This album showcases a lot of talents. I would almost call this "Tech Death". Tony and Al don't just mindlessly shred, these solos are well thought put and placed in each song. And I would have to compare Jon and Nick to Origin's rhythm section. Very calculated. I can actually here the bass in every song, which is unusual for death metal. And of course Jonny's vokills are phenomenal. I "love Black Discharge", "Nourishment Through Bloodshed" and the closer, "Tarnished Gluttony". I dislike very little about these guys and hopefully they are the heir apparent to the crown of the death metal scene. They surely seem like they are on their way.

gilbertn923
    I find it funny that people are just now starting to realize what a great band JFAC has become. Everyone would always complain about how they aren't deathcore anymore and the same old bullshit. I like deathcore, but that was just the younger days of this band and they have evolved into a much greater band than what they were in their teen years. They deserve praise for being such a great death metal band, please don't look at them as the same kids who made Doom.
    bdof
    I'm proud of JFAC. A tiny bit too much guitar wankery at some spots (unnecessay divebombs, etc.) and they're still a little sporatic with the riffage, drumming (just a HAIR less double bass ALL THE TIME, lol), and song arrangement.....as is the problem with 95% of ALL Death/Deathcore music..... But aside from all of that, this is their best best album to date from a real musical standpoint. I don't think it'd be selling out, but I think this band would benifit GREATLY from toning down about 10-15%, and focus on perhaps a little more traditional song arrangement style here and there. I'd like to see more songs like Ruination and Tarnished Gluttony spaced throughout the album on their next CD. Like maybe 3-4 out of 10 songs be a little slower and more "epic" sounding. Solid 8/10 for me :
    wbjackson517
    Yes I used the word vokills....Bwaaaahaaaa. Who gives a crap if its lame? I wrote a review on a death metal band. I actually got the word from Decibel Magazine. They use that particular word for awesome singers. And Jonny's VOKILLS are badass