Doom review by Job for a Cowboy

• Released: Dec 6, 2005
Job for a Cowboy: Doom

This is their first full length and large departure from the work on their Doom EP which gained much underground popularity. One large difference is the lack of the now cliche "brees" or "pig squeals" that have become trite in the deathcore genre. This album is much more complex, and sticks out from many other bands in the genre. For this band it is an excelent step forward, but there are many things they could improve upon.

The lyrics seem to fit the music fine and are very well written. The change in vocals from previous work is good, except for the lack of variation, Johny just hit the same low growl 90% of the time and rarely uses his excellent higher pitched scream. Also the lyrics are delivered too fast in some songs, detracting from the song as a whole.

It is a standout album in the deathcore genre, but in death metal it is nothing great. Being so you there is much room for improvement. Reduced to Mere Filth and Coalescing Prophecy are the standout tracks for me on this album. The only complaints I have are in the vocal delivery and lack of variety, and on the overall shortness of the album. It is a large progress for a young band and should lead to greater things in the future.

vintageisbetter
    because people dont know the meaing of 'core'- strpped down most basic part. for example= hard core. 3 note guitar fast drums yelling singer at what the are pissed of about. simple. fast. metal has evolved from blues... metal core... no blues. evolved from metal like trivium and others. metal core is very broad rang... thrash core... form thrash bands like slayer. now the cores have gone to far.. you can only be a core if it has been done alot and has aged like metal core.. death core.. deathmetal like lamb of god has not been around to be set and a major influence and only influnce like metallica has been or so long
    fwibble
    scarfacesuit
    fwibble wrote: X\Chazza/X wrote: Why are new genres invented now just by putting 'core' on the end of something? I can understand because I know the type of music you're talking about but isn't it a bit lazy? Anyway, I haven't heard much JFAC but from what I have they're pretty technical and heavy as **** tslking of ____core genres, for the first time today I saw a band labelled as "gorecore" now what the hell is gorecore? Please explain to me
    i don't know what any of the cores are and what the difference is. post-hardcore, hardcore, deathcore, metalcore, grindcore.... i just don't know these days...
    -l-Trendkiller-
    First of all anyone who labels shit as "core" is a ****in faggit. anyway as for the comments on the album instead of bitchin about cores, This album is a peice of shit. The guitar parts are really lame and its one fake harmonic after the other. This "genera" of music is overused and its bad anyway. If i here another pig squel or a ****in bree im gonna vomit. if u want to hear these guys get the new album. they finally stopped the torture of this album and actually are doin metal now -l-Death to False Metal-l-
    ExDeath
    Blah. These guys suck big ones. There are thousands of bands better than these guys.
    they are the heaviest shit I've heard in a long while
    Not really. There are bands that are way heavier. Whats next hardcore-core. STOP PUTTING CORE. Its Metal. Period. I think i have add PANTERA RULES!!!
    -l-Trendkiller-
    MexiChriS wrote: ahaha, this shit is so funny. first JFAC isn't grindcore, death metal, hardcore, or metalcore. because each and every one of those has a certen thing to it that makes it its own genre and only their own genre. makeing it unique. JFAC is deathcore, why? because basicly music has been abused and deathcore has taken just about all those other genres i listed above... and its been ****ed with to much. am i saying shit about JFAC? no, not at all. i love the band and i respect them, for their category of music and for still playing even though peps like us write comments about them online. lol all in all, their an amazing band with lots of different genres tossed in their style, so their not just one ****ing genre wich you would consider to be the main genre like hardcore, grindcore, death metal or any other shit.... their just a deathcore band makeing the same tunes all of us have heard before. but its still good. :] oh, and Napalm Death is grindcore and did in fact come in the running years when grindcore was created... they've pretty much created our music today BE THANKFUL and please learn your shit! oh and wecamewithbrokenteeth and circle of dead children are grindcore, but thats modern day grindcore that has been evolved from the past.... i'll take it [IBZ-Iceman] is one of those young kids like me, except he doesn't know his damn music... so sad! oh and As Blood Runs Black... most tallented deathcore band out their? shit man, you don't know your music and haven't expanded or gone out and heard other deathcore bands.... they are all right, not amazing. but i love the band, my homie Ernie is in it. but thier not amazing bro. :]
    You are a ****ing idiot. How can you seriously say that JFAC is amazing. That is such an ignorant statment. how could fake harmonics, breakdowns, and processed vocals with bree bree bree, in anyway be amazing. You are preaching about how other people dont read up on their music when u actually have the balls to call them amazing. As Blood Runs Black has way bettter guitar parts then job does and i dont really care for ABRB much either. But i do no that they ahve alot more talent. jfac new album is good, because the band ****in grew outa the scene faze.
    Eternal_One
    Soul Vomitor wrote: "I forgot what happens when bands find the next trend on the mallcore scene. You see, in 2002-2005 the trend was metalcore. Actually, it was less metalcore than it was Gothenburg riffs with a poorly placed mosh part here and there that wasn't even theoretically sound. Metalcore bands have stunk up the scene in that time period, and now mall-level death metal will. Mall Kids move kind of fast for retards. They've gone from open D stomp parts to tremolo leads all the way to technical death metal now. Job for A Cowboy are leading this trend, and are doing a rather shitty job of emulating the heroes they heard about 6 months ago. You see, Job For a Cowboy fits the profile of poser perfectly. They were a Christian metalcore band who then decided to give the finger to Jesus and start emulating whatever Earache Reccords is putting out. 46000 myspace friends later, Job For A Cowboy is (relatively) huge. Take it from me, "technical death metal" is the new metalcore. Job For a Cowboy will undoubtedly sell a lot of records to a lot of stupid people, so prepare yourself for an even bigger onslaught of skunk-haired trend felchers namedropping some band that started 6 months ago." Fucking hails man, couldn't have been said better!!
    BRILLIANT!! One of the best things said on UG EVER!!!
    vintageisbetter
    [quote]-l-Trendkiller- wrote: You are a ****ing idiot. How can you seriously say that JFAC is amazing. That is such an ignorant statment. quote] haha thats funny
    Spirit_Crusher
    Despite what the kids say, squealing like a pig isn't very brutal. Neither is having high pitched vocals akin to The Black Dahlia Murder or abortions.
    that made me laugh a bit (cause it's true).
    ready2breakdown
    ^ Agreed. I cant lie, I'm not feeling them. They sound like nothing that resembles any death metal I've ever heard, but i guess their lyrics could make them an exception. I truly dont understand the slightest bit why they are so damn big. I understand that they are pretty talented, but all that talent goes to shit the second they let the vocals graze the recording. I truly hope that they arent the next big trend. This would be two-for-two of gay totally oblivious music trends in the past 3 years or so. Bring back anything, just dont let this crap get big.
    Lambda
    hahahaha...man, i can't agree more with the first reviwer's thoughts. it is totally immemorial, and i don't know why people like it. its funny now, because Guitar World is spazzing (or on the brink of) about Job For a Cowboy as they did for Dragonforce. it is cool at first, then it becomes annoying. as HELL. and no, pigs have never been brutal. just gross. and tasty. but mainly gross. brutal = necrophagist, dying fetus, waco jesus pigs = bacon, ham, little gay kid vocals