Doom [EP] Review

Job for a Cowboy: Doom [EP]
Release Date: Dec 6, 2005
Label: King Of The Monsters
Genres: Grindcore, Death Metal/Black Metal
Very tech with loads of speed to keep metallers headbanging and loads of breakdowns to have the hardcore fanatics dancing.
 Lyrics: 8.6
 8.2
 8.7
 7.6
Doom [EP] Reviewed by: ad4mZX, on march 30, 2007

Sound: Job For A Cowboy is a deathcore band from Arizona. They are quickly gaining popularity, and many call them one of the hardest bands out there. However, they sound just like any other deathcore band, they just do everything a little better. The 6-7 track EP (depending on whether you get the original 2005 version or the re-release 2006 version) is truly hard and will keep you entertained. Job For A Cowboy has talented members that collaberate well together, but they aren't a breakthrough in metal. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are as expected from any deathcore band, it talks about blood, gore, and war. But what should be highlighted here is that JFAC's vocalist, Jonny, has a wide range of screams and pig-like squeals. Jonny brings the band from an average deathcore band to something great. // 8

Overall Impression: This 24 minute EP isn't a masterpiece, but it sticks out from other grindcore and deathcore works because of the talented musicians in the band. They've taken only a small step forward after their 2004 demo that put them on the radar. Besides Catharsis for the Buried, (the intro track) all of the songs are constant chaos. Their songs are more organized than most bands of their genre (grindcore bands usually lack choruses and basic song structure), which may be what makes them so popular. Job for a Cowboy is currently on tour with Unearth and will release a new album (Genesis) in May. They have serious potential (most of the members are just out of High School), in years to come there is no doubt that they will sell millions of records. // 8

Doom [EP] Reviewed by: kneedeep999, on may 19, 2007

Sound: Job for a cowboy has always attracted me with their guitar harmonies, heavy riffs and gutteral vocals. There genre is very unique as it mixes grindcore with death metal. Unlike a lot of really heavy bands, their riffs are suprisingly intricate and well written. I will say their culd be more guitar solos. Also, the drumming is very intense and machine like. It adds new diensions to the songs. Overall they own! // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics (if you can figure them out) are shockingly intelligent ranging more from just death. The singer's screaming voice is very unique featuring a wide vocal range from high pitched shrieks to menacing growls. Also there is his signature wheat-brie vocal style (listen and you'll know what I'm talking about). // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a must for metalheads. If you don't get hooked from the opening of entombment for a machine or the riff from knee deep I don't know what will. I do wish there were "real" guitar solos in the songs besides the little licks and fills that show up, but they make up for it in style. Also unless you listen closely, you sometimes find yourself wondering when one song ended and a new one began. Still a great CD so check it out. // 9

Doom [EP] Reviewed by: Job 4 a Cowboy, on may 31, 2007

Sound: This is their first full length and large departure from the work on their Doom EP which gained much underground popularity. One large difference is the lack of the now cliche "brees" or "pig squeals" that have become trite in the deathcore genre. This album is much more complex, and sticks out from many other bands in the genre. For this band it is an excelent step forward, but there are many things they could improve upon. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics seem to fit the music fine and are very well written. The change in vocals from previous work is good, except for the lack of variation, Johny just hit the same low growl 90% of the time and rarely uses his excellent higher pitched scream. Also the lyrics are delivered too fast in some songs, detracting from the song as a whole. // 7

Overall Impression: It is a standout album in the deathcore genre, but in death metal it is nothing great. Being so you there is much room for improvement. Reduced to Mere Filth and Coalescing Prophecy are the standout tracks for me on this album. The only complaints I have are in the vocal delivery and lack of variety, and on the overall shortness of the album. It is a large progress for a young band and should lead to greater things in the future. // 9

Doom [EP] Reviewed by: TinyCracker, on july 10, 2007

Sound: I think Job for a cowboy sounds great with the harminizing sound of the 2 guitar parts. They are evolving from underground to more well known death metal band. JFAC has a unique sound, to me they don't sound much like any other band out there. You should check out both of their CD's "Doom" (which I think is their best) and "Genesis" if you like Death Metal then you won't be disapointed. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty "Brutal" with talking about waiting for you father in hell and saving him a seat. My opinion of how the lyrics fit into the music, is great. You got to admit that the singer has great skills. You may think "hes just screaming I can do that" well no, screaming like Jonny does or any screaming is very hard. Jonny keeps his voice stable when pushing it in a low pig squeal to a high pitch yell. // 9

Overall Impression: In my own opinion they don't compare to other artists because they just have their own unique sound. The most known song from this album is Entombment of a Machine. Another one of my favorites is knee deep. I love the brutal vocal range of Jonny and I love the harmonizing sound of the 2 guitars in this album. The only thing I hate isn't even in Doom [EP] it's in their new album and the thing I hate is he doesn't really use his high pitch scream and the guitars don't use that many good parts. Their new album I think just turned to heavy guitars and deep, growl, screaming which I don't like. If the album was lost or stolen I would buy it again. So check this Job For A Cowboy album out, it's great. // 8

Doom [EP] Reviewed by: BdFlyDawg, on september 07, 2007

Sound: This CD I think is one of the CDs where you're either going to like it a lot or your going to hate it (as I've senn from some other reviews on here). Personally I love Doom compared to the New JFAC. I think that Genesis is nowhere near as good as this album. Even though these guys might not have an excellent guitarist, great drummer, or any stand out in the band; when they all get together to play music they do a pretty good job. This is the kind of music you just wanna play really loud. // 8

Lyrics: Honestly I think though that the lead singer really does have a great scream and know exactly how to use it. The famous "pig squeals" are a JFAC tradition. And oh yes, who can forget the scream at the start of entombment of a machine that scares you half to death when you first listen to it (in my car listenin to it all the way up almost and almost wrecked because I wasn't aware of the scream). // 9

Overall Impression: Great album! This is truly one of my favorite CDs I have. I listen to it about everyday. You can probably find out, that you can't compare JFAC to any other band out there, because they have the most unique sound. But if your a fan of metal that makes you wanna beat the crap out of everything in sight, buy this CD, it's only like 8$ too. Great buy. Make sure you buy Doom and not Genesis. Genesis is crap. // 10

Doom [EP] Reviewed by: thegrungyhippie, on november 30, 2007

Sound: Job For A Cowboy. I have never heard anything like them. When you pop in this CD you cannot help head banging. This is my best CD buy in the past year or two. The main music types that come to mind when mentioning Job For A Cowboy are Death Metal and Hardcore. I think they created they're own genre "Deathcore". The guitars come in melodic and fast and the next second, they are extremely low and heavy. Tempo changes and breakdowns are present to no end on this album. The sound of the guitars, Johnny Davy's amazing vocals, and Elliot Seller's extreme drumming creates Job For A Cowboy's own unique, new sound. // 10

Lyrics: Job For A Cowboy's lyrics on Doom are typical metal band. Slaughter, war, gore. What more could you want? The lyrics are not as revolutionary as Job's sound as a whole. Johnny Davy's incredible vocals make up for the typical lyrics. Davy has the most well rounded, distinguished voice I've heard in metal. Johnny pulls of an extremely low growl as well as a ripping high scream. Pig squeals are incorporated on this album which to some may be a turn off, but Davy uses them effectively and brings his own sound to the vocal style. To sum up Job For A Cowboy's vocals in one word: incredible! // 10

Overall Impression: I love all kinds of metal: Classic, Thrash, and Death. This is the one album I would listen to over any other metal album I've listened to. I'm serious here, I feel really stupid giving an album a perfect 10, but how can I not when it's so innovative and fun to listen to. Every song from the eerie opening "Catharsis For The Buried" to the drumming masterpiece "Entities". My personal favorite on the album is "Suspended By The Throat", with it's varying guitar parts and sick tempo change. What I love most about this album is how I haven't heard anything like it before. // 10

Doom [EP] Reviewed by: rebornmaster9, on june 20, 2011

Sound: I remember when I first first heard job for a cowboy, I was blown away by the extreme sound, the first track I heard was suspended by the throat and I fell in love with what I would find out is deathcore the most controversial sub-gene of metal to ever emerge. I like deathcore and I can honestly say after everything I've read on UG and YouTube, I might be the only one left who likes deathcore. I can understand both sides of the arguement for or against deathcore but back to this review, Job has a solid sound on this EP, this proves you can play awesome heavy songs on drop C. // 9

Lyrics: Johnny Davy is one of the best vocalists in metal today, on this EP most of the vocals consist of pig squeals (bree bree), now I like the technique but that's pretty much all your gonna hear. Now it all doesn't all sound like pigs on a farm, davy delivers excellent lows and highs, he has a great range, the epic scream in entombment gets me pumped, and if you look up knee deep on youtube you get to watch sponge bob and his buddies jam out to it. Lyricly its pretty legit as well, let the carcass of your martyr burn along with other epic lines, its the shit you'll be singing and bree breeing all day, my only grip is I wish I didn't have to google the lyrics to figure out what he's saying. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to Job's later works which is pretty solid as well, this EP really sticks out for me, this is the band that is universally agreed to have started the deathcore movement, they started the scrachy font that everyone has stolen (I have even toyed with the font as well), and they started the pig squeals. My over all impression is this is a solid deathcore album, if anyone stole any of my Job CDs, I'd hang them from a tree. I love the overall sound and besides the lack of understanding the words I would have wanted more then 7 tracks. // 8

Comments