Genesis review by Job for a Cowboy

• Released: May 15, 2007
Job for a Cowboy: Genesis

The sounds of all the members of this band are beyond what I expected. The new drummer is a great addition to the line-up with, in my opinion, much better drumming than those on "Doom". Jonny's vocals are very impressive. He has broken away for the stereotypical "Bree" or pig squeals wich are very common place in death metal now, and were used a lot on their last record. The guitar work is much heavier and more intricate than before, with a few nicely played (but not overdone) guitar solos. There are even two instrumental tracks without the band, but they add to the overall experience that is "Genesis".

The lyrics are impressive. They mostly deal with Christianity and the end of times as decsribed in the bible. The song "Bearing the Serpent's Lamb" is about the brith of the Anti-christ, while the song "Embedded" tells the story of how the Anti-christ will control the world. The words work together perfectly in every song, and keep with the theme. The thing I love about the songs, is their vocabulary. It will send most people scrambling to their copy of Webster's to find their meanings.

As far as the genre goes, in my opinion, Job for a Cowboy are better than most. They were great with their last CD "Doom", and "Genesis" propells them to the front of the pack. Even though I am a Christian, I am not closed-minded, and do not let something as simple as lyrics keep me from enjoying great music. I listen to this CD more than any other, since I bought "Akeldama" by The Faceless. This belongs in every metal-lovers collection.

moomoocons
    Thanks for imforming me. Well, then i need to say that he has gotten much better for this album then. Not saying that he never was good.
    OXXOI777777
    I think the last album was a lot better.This time, I feel like all the songs sound the same, there is not much guitar work, and a lot less variety of vocals.
    -l-Trendkiller-
    The last album by JFAC sucked. Every track was Bree Bree (Fake harmonic on the guitar parts) and then another bree again. The drummin was repetitive but still showed some talent. Having said that Genesis was a big step for these guys. They finally got away from the prossesed vocals and the pig squeals which is so old at this point. I like the guitar so much better this time around, and its overall what they shoulda been doing in the firstplace. I would have alot of respect for these guys if Doom didnt blow so much. But i definetly give props to the new album. id say 8 outa 10 because the solos are a sad excuse for half way decent guitar players
    LightningboltX
    This album is good but every song sounds somehow similar to the others, they could have eliminated the instrumentals(not much instruments there),they had 5 second solos and the vocals are repetitive.But still the song "The Divine Falsehood" is very well composed. Very good anyways.
    TEARSofJAMES
    i love this album... either the divine falsehood or embedded are my favorite songs. much more brutal then doom, but i love both their albums. only thing that disappointed me about genesis was the lack of breakdowns
    -l-Trendkiller-
    everyone i know has said divine falsehood is so great. I dont really see how it is. Bearing the Serpents Lamb or Strings of Hypocrisy are alot better i think. oh and by the way TearsofJames. Their isnt any breakdowns because they are death metal now, not hardcore
    crash_course
    I was so close to buying this album. I should have, my local hot topic had it for sale $10 and then you get a free shirt with it.
    AllMidnightEyes
    This is about 20 times better than Doom. They made a good move by playing Prog Death Metal instead of the same 'deathcore' stuff that about 100 bands have already done.
    JC805
    Every song starts off fast (vocals) its not as good as Doom was, but it is still a great album.