Genesis review by Job for a Cowboy

• Released: May 15, 2007
Job for a Cowboy: Genesis

I saw these guys at Sounds of the Underground 2007 in Louisville, Ky which intially got me interested in them. Job for a Cowboy's sound is very death metalish but in my mind that is not a problem. Unfortunately for anyone looking for a "cutting-edge" sound will not find one here. It is undeniably not anything new sound wise. There are some solos which are nice, but one again they aren't groundbreaking either. They aren't very long either. Vocally it's alittle bit of a different story. The singing is good on the entire album. And one thing that I really like is the singer (don't know his name) tends to mix it up alittle bit with more high pitched screams/ growls. Which for me definately keeps thing interesting. They drumming is also good throughout the entire album. But once again generic death metalish sound.

The lyrics on this album are especially brutal. The first song's lyrics talks about the birst of the AntiChrist which would make my list of brutal lyrics. Lyrically they could be labeled as a Black Metal or Blackened Death Metal band. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of Black or Death metal music. So I am not the most experienced in this department. The lyrics defintely compliment the sound extraordinarily.

This is defintely one of my favorite cds. I especially like to listen to it while playing video games. The entire album was good but my favorite song was Bearing the Serpant's Lamb and Reduced to Mere Filth. I am new to the whole death metal thing but this is defintely a good initiation for me. I would buy this CD again in a heartbeat if it were stolen/lost. It would more likely be broken or burnt out because I like it so much.

Infamou$17
    Cannibalkyle16
    Infamou$17 wrote: Embedded is cool and that's almost all, pretty bland album. DOOM was fresh. I know that they are death metal now and not bland ass deathcore, but when they did deathcore they did it perfectly. Though Suspended By the Throat is gayer than Wham!. Entities owns most death metal songs ever, true fact
    doom was not fresh, when they played deathcore they did not do it perfectly. It sounded like a retarded collage of random riffs ripped off from random metalcore and death metal. there was no flow, no originality, everything was sloppy and poorly thought out. Genesis on the other hand, yes the songs kind of run together, but you learn to distinguish them as you listen more, and theres alot more to the songs than there use to be. Its still generic, but it sounds like they actually thought about what they were doing instead of the old "copy and paste" from there influences that they did on doom...anyone that thinks doom is a better album needs to learn to listen beyond how heavy it sounds.
    McMetal
    I really liked this album a lot. A lot of JFAC fans are upset at the change of style, but i love it. Both albums are good, but this one is better because it is more death metal less death core
    wiggo17
    i really enjoyed doom i reckon this could hav been better but i still giv this album kudos
    iktpq666
    they have evolved so much since doom reduced to mere filth = fav song eva
    iH8CarAccidents
    Drezzdez
    Just bought it today epic as definetley Bearing The Serpents Lamb is teh best JFAC for life
    freedomdeceptiv
    deathcore is more of the same, but jfac did a great job on it with Doom but theres not a whole lot you can do with the genre. im happy they went with a more death metal sound with this album... its suprisingly melodic too. overall, one of my favorite albums of the genre!
    lambofgodowns
    no matter what JFAC does, it is amazing. the pig squeals to strictly death metal is still amazing. Everyone who doesn't like it, just accept it as one if the greatest things you'll ever hear because you probably listen to trivium and thinks they're the "be-all-end-all" band JOB RULES!
    judas_disciple
    You say s**tloads of bands use breebreebree, that may be so, but the way job does it is different enough to make it almost a trademark for people who loved DOOM, i think losing it made them lose a bit of there identity, which was the epitomy of heaviness JFAC F**KING RULES
    mtllica
    I love this album, especially "The Divine Falsehood", which is my favorite JFAC song next to "Knee Deep"
    Mr_CiNiC
    iH8CarAccidents wrote: Probably the reason they dropped the "breebree" is because there's like a thousand other bands that do that. Seriously, people think they can tremolo pick a bunch of notes, hit everthing on the drums as fast as they can, go "Bree bree bree YAA YAA YAAA!", throw in a really slow breakdown or two, and pass it off as being "technical" music or something. Job is different though. Their last album changed it up just enough to stand out from that stereotype. Then this album has a lot more structure to it. Which changes it into death metal or something. I can't keep up with all this grindcore vs grindgore vs hardcore vs deathgrind bullcrap the kiddies come up with these days. Bottom line: Job for a Cowboy rocks!
    Yeah, 'cause monotone screams and immemorable guitar lines are SO much more original. Oh, wait...
    kontarisjohn
    i was listening this album in the train when a guy sitting next to me (wearing a cannibal corpse t-shirt) started headbanging!!! That was weird and awesome at the same time! enough said!
    pto654
    I love this album from beginning to end. It all flows so well. I wasn't a huge fan of the Doom EP, but i did like it; however, I do not like Ruination at all.