Genesis Review

Lyrics: 9.2
 8.6
 9.2
Genesis Reviewed by: moomoocons, on may 22, 2007

Sound: The sounds of all the members of this band are beyond what I expected. The new drummer is a great addition to the line-up with, in my opinion, much better drumming than those on "Doom". Jonny's vocals are very impressive. He has broken away for the stereotypical "Bree" or pig squeals wich are very common place in death metal now, and were used a lot on their last record. The guitar work is much heavier and more intricate than before, with a few nicely played (but not overdone) guitar solos. There are even two instrumental tracks without the band, but they add to the overall experience that is "Genesis". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are impressive. They mostly deal with Christianity and the end of times as decsribed in the bible. The song "Bearing the Serpent's Lamb" is about the brith of the Anti-christ, while the song "Embedded" tells the story of how the Anti-christ will control the world. The words work together perfectly in every song, and keep with the theme. The thing I love about the songs, is their vocabulary. It will send most people scrambling to their copy of Webster's to find their meanings. // 10

Overall Impression: As far as the genre goes, in my opinion, Job for a Cowboy are better than most. They were great with their last CD "Doom", and "Genesis" propells them to the front of the pack. Even though I am a Christian, I am not closed-minded, and do not let something as simple as lyrics keep me from enjoying great music. I listen to this CD more than any other, since I bought "Akeldama" by The Faceless. This belongs in every metal-lovers collection. // 10

Genesis Reviewed by: 6Brutal6Doom6, on may 19, 2007

Sound: Their sound is amazing! Full of time and tempo changes each of these boys are very skillful. Crushing guitar work, drums to slay the innocent, and vocals to cause a mass landslide. This CD is the ultimate debut full length album from Job For A Cowboy! The sound is crystal clear and pretty diverse. From the heaviest and fastest to slow and powerful. This album will eat you up and spit you out. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are pretty powerful. Speaking out against religion mostly, in subtle yet destinctive ways. The lyrics are very well written and the singer has unbelievable talent. From low growls to high screams I'd say Jonny Davy is the Randy Blythe for underground heavy metal. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a very special edition to my CD case, and anyone elses at that. I'd recommend it to any grindcore/death metal fan. My favorite song from this album is "The Divine Falsehood". And there's no question. If my CD case was ever lost or stolen this album would be a priority for me to find another copy. // 10

Genesis Reviewed by: bighugejake, on august 18, 2007

Sound: Firstly, let me say to any hardcore JFAC fans out there, get ready for some criticism. Next I'd like to point out the length of the album is just over 30 min. This excluding the unexplainable instrumentals. I was slightly disappointed on how short the album was but I got the album because I simply admire Job For A Cowboy. One thing this band doesn't lack is progressiveness (if that's a word). Each song is one constant hammering riff after the other. That being said, you can very easily confuse the songs as they sound similar even for a metal/grindcore band. Another thing about this album is the guitar work has changed a lot. It went from the choppy sounding distortion to the almost overproduced sound of clean cut distortion. That is one thing I miss about their style: It's turned into a more run-of-the-mill metal setting instead of staying a campy old school metal band. I feel the solos could have been left out of the record. They almost seem unnecessary and no offense to Bobby Thompson or Ravi Bhadriraju but they still need to brush up on their solo writing skills. The best solo of the album is probably the one on Embedded. I personally liked Doom better than Genesis. However, I bought Genesis anyways because the song are freakin heavy and JFAC is incredible. // 8

Lyrics: No Bree Bree on this album. Would have been good if Jonny Davy went nuts on one of the songs with a load of Brees. But his voice is still amazing at the screaming technique. Lyrics are a lot darker in this album. Even the song titles seem more satanic than those of Doom. I think it's pretty awesome that they are going darker. It helps them branch out more and become more known in the metal scene (as if they aren't known enough). // 9

Overall Impression: So far I haven't come across another band that can match the intensity this band produces. They are mistakingly one-of-a-kind. My favorite song on the album is the first one, Bearing the Serpent's Lamb. The title almost defines them as a newly introduced black metal band. I love the rhythm and tempo changes in the CD. I don't like the length of the CD or the commonness of the songs. But if this album along with my other CDs got stolen it would be the 4th one I would by back after Alaska - Between the Buried and Me, Kezia - Protest the Hero and Presence - Led Zeppelin. // 10

Genesis Reviewed by: Broken One, on june 23, 2007

Sound: This CD is great. Pure death metal rather than deathcore or whatever you wanna call it with the Doom EP. The riffs are technical as all hell and the vocals are brutal. True death metal fans will love this album. The detuned guitars give it a really low and brutal sound, and the drums are insane. The solos on here are alright, atleast there is solos rather than a lot of the music today. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are intense. Speaking of the anti-christ being birthed and rising up to rule the world. Vocalist Jonny Davy uses very low inhaled growls to get his words across, with an ocassinal high scream. I don't really mind that there is no breeing on this record, I think the breeing on the Doom EP just kinda made it more fun to listen to. Besides breeing is so cliche these days, Jfac is sticking to there death metal roots with this one. // 10

Overall Impression: This is deffitally my most listened to CD that I own. I'm listenening to it as I right this. "Bearing the Serpent's Lamb", "Embedded", "Strings of Hypocrisy", and "The Divine Falsehood" are, to me, the best songs on this album. I love the technicality of this cd, the guitar and drums are just insanely good. The only thing I don't like is that it's not really that long of a CD, since 2 of the songs are intrumentals and most of the songs are pretty short it really isnt that much longer than the Doom EP with Entities on it. If this CD were stolen or lost I'd be very pissed and by another copy. Job For A Cowboy are definatly leadears of death metal genre of today. // 10

Genesis Reviewed by: voodooblues, on november 14, 2007

Sound: I had never heard this band before listening to their debut Genesis, I had always thought of them as a more metalcore band and I lumped them in with the likes of all the bands I really despise. Listening to this CD brings out the true metal purist in me, I really admire their ability and sound. Originality lacks, but it's extremely hard to come by these days especially. Great production and killer sound. Overall, the song structure could be a little more mature, but this isn't a progressive band, they are death metal. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are another very difficult portion to all music. Again, not as original in concept or projection, but still better than most out there. Very well suited for the music though. The vocalist does have some considerable growl, very heavy, and hard to come by. // 7

Overall Impression: Heavy, this album doesn't lack in those stone cold death metal characteristics, but overall it doesn't have its own identity. Anyone who is a fan of death metal might tell you this sounds like Deicide or the new Cryptopsy CD if they hadn't heard Job For A Cowboy before. It is a great album, and if you want true pummeling death metal, it delivers in spades. Anyone who wants to be amazed by originality and new sounds and boundaries being pushed in extreme music, there's better out there. // 8

Genesis Reviewed by: HolyDiver1118, on january 21, 2008

Sound: I saw these guys at Sounds of the Underground 2007 in Louisville, Ky which intially got me interested in them. Job for a Cowboy's sound is very death metalish but in my mind that is not a problem. Unfortunately for anyone looking for a "cutting-edge" sound will not find one here. It is undeniably not anything new sound wise. There are some solos which are nice, but one again they aren't groundbreaking either. They aren't very long either. Vocally it's alittle bit of a different story. The singing is good on the entire album. And one thing that I really like is the singer (don't know his name) tends to mix it up alittle bit with more high pitched screams/ growls. Which for me definately keeps thing interesting. They drumming is also good throughout the entire album. But once again generic death metalish sound. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are especially brutal. The first song's lyrics talks about the birst of the AntiChrist which would make my list of brutal lyrics. Lyrically they could be labeled as a Black Metal or Blackened Death Metal band. Unfortunately I don't have a whole lot of Black or Death metal music. So I am not the most experienced in this department. The lyrics defintely compliment the sound extraordinarily. // 9

Overall Impression: This is defintely one of my favorite cds. I especially like to listen to it while playing video games. The entire album was good but my favorite song was Bearing the Serpant's Lamb and Reduced to Mere Filth. I am new to the whole death metal thing but this is defintely a good initiation for me. I would buy this CD again in a heartbeat if it were stolen/lost. It would more likely be broken or burnt out because I like it so much. // 9

Comments