Ruination review by Job for a Cowboy

• Released: Jul 7, 2009
Job for a Cowboy: Ruination

In 2009, deathcore and neo grind or some combination of the two- are lava-hot in the metal scene. Suicide Silence and Whitechapel are the logos on all the kids' t-shirts and are the bands enjoying the lion's share of the spotlight. But Job For a Cowboy were one of the first bands to gain notoriety and album sales in this incredibly extreme, terrifically niche style. Rather than focus on what's going on in the metal scene, JFAC have turned their attention inward and have flexed, stretched and worked their muscles for Ruination, an album that actually boasts memorable songs. Yes, lurking beneath the veneer of riffs and throat-tearing vocals lies songs that do more than simply pummel. While the album will wear down your defenses with its relentless, over-the-top and continuous aural assault, Unfurling A Darkened Gospel and Summon The Hounds do follow a structure and aren't instantly forgettable because they are so intense and extreme; rather, JFAC have found a way to put together songs that stick to your ribs. We're left to wonder if anyone who plays an instrument in JFAC has fingerprints anymore; the music is played with such voracity that there just has to be some sort of physical sacrifice incurred by the individuals who get together and create this glorious racket.

Don't expect to understand a word that tumbles from Jonny Davy's mouth. This kid shreds his pipes through and through on Ruination, and it's really not about what he's saying. It's more about how he says it and he delivers his words with equal parts viciousness and conviction. His voice acts as another layer of blunt force trauma instrumentation. There's no breaks, no slow parts, no give me a minute to process this. Davy and his cohorts are a well-oiled machine that steamrolls over listeners. Ultimately, it's a cleansing and therapeutic process, to be able to bleed with JFAC.

Yippeekayee, motherf--ker! These Cowboys beat the living shit out of themselves and their instruments, but it's never mindless or blind. The album is incredibly and impressively tight where it could (and should) be sloppy. This type of ultra-aggressive music is often a mess simply because it's as immediate as a street fight. It's frightening, dangerous and short, and instead of just throwing shit against the studio wall and seeing how it sticks, JFAC are actually art-chitects of a technical and transgressive style of music. While many bands hop on the deathcore bandwagon, JFAC show why they were one of the earliest upstarts in this genre and they do so by fusing technicality with practicality, aggression with expression. They're not trying too hard and that's the very reason the album will click and connect with metal fans who crave tunes as hard, fast and as unforgiving as a three-hour gangbang. Sure, that's a vivid image, but so is JFAC's music on Ruination. Well done, gentlemen!

tristan_deity
    ok ive never listened to JFAC before but the sound interesting, so can someone fill me in as to weather they are a faggy 'core metal' band or a real death metal band like bloodbath ect.
    Lion_Slicer
    JFAC has evolved so much from Genesis it's insane. I mean Ruination just rips it apart in every way, I don't think I'll ever listen to it again except to contrast it with this album. Awesome album. Definitely should shut up the haters.
    tancanada
    I LOVE THIS ALBUM genesis was so boring and dull, JFAC just rips this album apart though
    mtllica
    Excellent album, blows away everything they have done before. I'll definitely have to pick it up once I get paid
    COBHC728
    I'm actually going to buy this one. I hated Doom due to the boring instrumentation and obnoxious pig squeals. I actually liked a few songs off of Genesis; it seemed like a more straight-up death metal album than just another deathcore album. I heard a couple of the songs off of this album on their MySpace, and I really liked what a heard. Congrats to JFAC for continuing to get better with every album.
    Metal4themasses
    This CD kicks you so hard in the balls that you vomit your intestines! Nice work, JFAC!! This was also a good reveiw.
    Softserved
    Doom wasn't too amazing, Genesis is easily forgotten, and just listening to one song off this album gets it stuck in your head and makes you wanna smash a car windshield with your nutsack
    Panasonic3
    this album was incredible, impeccible, even, especially as a follow up for sub-par genesis. but this review didn't really discuss the album content. it's basically only packed with adjectives on how metal it is. album 8.5 review 5.5
    kaizerkhan13
    god i need to buy this album, and good review. new born of osiris came out today too.i love summer.
    BenRaah
    slayermaggot
    i love just about all metal and rock from AC/DC to cannibal corpse and for me JFAC and megadeth are 2 of my favorite bands and i find it very hard to choose between then because they both rule and its your own opinion on who u like better so dont go flaming people for something u dont like because ur probably a sh*thead PS sorry for posting last comment twice
    slayermaggot
    doom was slightly better than ruination and alot better than genisis but i thought all three album were extremly good albums.....BUT DOOM WAS BEST!!!!!
    Shaned
    i gotta say some of these songs are actually REALLY GOOD on their past two no song stuck with me or could really remember any of them like they said in the review
    MetalUpYourRear
    This was THE WORST band I have ever seen live. Almost made me regret seeing the Gigantour last year just because of them... But then Megadeth came on and made it all better by playing intelligent music.
    bt99
    This album was sick (got it first day) i lopve j4acb and they are my fave band but one thing that bugs me is they are not really deathcore anymore.On Doom ya they were but on GEN they were turning more death metal , and Ruination they are straight up Death Metal so ya.
    T.Quackenbush
    Doom was A Good album in its time, genesis wasn't much of an improvement But RUINATION Fucks the shit out of both those albums, definitely one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, JFAC reinvented themselves and finally gave up that deathcore bullshit for the better.
    hoondog
    The Tak wrote: JFAC have defnitly improved with 'Runation' but cmon guys, even though Genisis was quite boring; 'Bearing the serpents lamb' and 'the strings of hypocrisy' made that album worth buying. No but im much more happier with this new one.
    i agree. maybe ill give the new one a chance, low expectations tho... i thought the pig squeals were JFACs only redeeming quality, casue lets be honest they are freakin hilarious, they gotta keep me interested somehow..
    Eternium
    ShrimpthePimp wrote: They really aren't deathcore anymore...since Genesis, they've been a full blown death metal band.
    I agree with this. Doom was deathcore and the scene kids actually mostly just like that EP (which I think sounds horrible) and ignore their more death metal (and better) stuff. Not deathcore anymore, most obvious being the lack of a breakdown every ten seconds.
    Slay 'Em
    BenRaah wrote: JFAC are one of the only deathcore bands I can listen to without getting bored. They have some killer riffs
    Doom was deathcore. They aren't deathcor anymore.
    PerpetualBurn
    The Tak
    s-o-u-l-f-l-y
    Agreed.
    korn_dawg
    1- based on 3 different shows at 3 different times, JFAC never has an "on" show. 2 - this is an opinion. however, you could argue that megadeth is far more intelligible than JFAC. JFAC can't even headbang to the same beat when they're on stage because their music is such a mess
    Nikky666
    TheTortured
    I thought Doom sucked, I thought Genesis was good only repetitive. and I just heard the first track off this album, and I am completely pleased
    Thienskater
    metalvinny wrote: Paramecium302 wrote: lol that's what i was thinking I hate JFAC... boring as ****, and pig squeals are pretty untalented, i figured out how to do them just messing around in my basement one day. There's not a single pig squeal on this record. Clean the shit out of your ears and listen to it again.
    Johnny gave up on pig squeals back in Doom, JFAC is a death metal band now.
    metalvinny
    ShrimpthePimp
    Mr_CiNiC
    I oughta put up a review. I commented a bunch on this, and I had only listened to 3 songs before. I got the album yesterday, and NOW I have the right to say that it sucks, considering I purchased it in person. They did not intend to make this sound good. They just wanted to sound "technical" and chaotic. The drummer (nice triggers) is either spamming the snare on blast beats of having sex with his toms. I play guitar and drums well, and I have a concept of what I hear in terms of skill. Yeah, he does double bass. Really well, actually. That doesn't mean that it sounds good. The guitarist, even in Unfurling a Darkened Gospel... God, he didn't even WANT it to be good, I swear it. Just the opening. It's these random notes with inside-picking, and it sounds 100% terrible. A lot of music I judge by how catchy it is, how much it sticks in my mind, how impressive it is. He didn't WANT it to be catchy. No one in this band wanted any of it to be good. Maybe the chorus of Unfurling a Darkened Gospel, which is alright. Jonny, of course, thought it would be a swell idea, like on that ass of an album, Genesis, to turn his vocal track to 11 and keep everyone else at a tepid 7. Even if the music was catchy or good, I wouldn't be able to friggin' hear it over his voice. This guys solos for guitar are terrible. Sure, they are kinda hard, I'll give him that, but in NO way is any of his guitar lines or solos even slightly memorable. Listening to this for a full day over and over, trying my hardest to like it just gave me this disappointing conclusion: This album is not good. I loved Doom. I've loved Doom for over 2 years straight. I still listen to it, practically religiously. Was it their most technical CD, or skillful? No. Was it the cleanest? No. Was it good? My god yes. Entombment of a Machine was a fantastic song. I was talking earlier about how none of the songs on Ruination are catchy. Listen to the end of Suspended by the Throat off of Doom. That... That was a good guitar line. And I have no idea why they abandoned all of their fans who realized that they had something going for them just to please the death metal crowd. For those of you who can get into music that isn't necessarily catchy or amusing, and is just pure, unorganized chaos... I guess you'd like this album. But for those of us who like guitar lines that you actually play over and over in your mind because they are so good, or ANY instrument line, then flee from the city. That's my opinion on this. Hope it helps you choose.
    Tony Alley
    Every one who says Genesis was boring is full of shit Genesis was an amazing album, and was the foundation of Ruination. Ruination is the best of JFAC, though
    cliffemall123
    You're right. Dave Mustaines vocals could never compare to his because they are totally different styles, idiot.
    psyo
    All these deathcore bands turned into brutal tech-death, I think that's a funny coincidence. I like this sound (as well as genesis) better than doom/ generic deathcore bands. However at the same time I find the only really outstanding player is the drummer and this band doesn't get me pumped like Carcass or Decapitated. Just a preference, really.
    PerpetualBurn
    Wow that took longer than I thought it would to attract the flaming. I love the internet. Endless supply of entertainment.
    angelofdeath99
    PerpetualBurn wrote: Nikky666 wrote: You should rethink what you said MetalUpYourAss, 1- Everyone has off shows, And 2- Megadeth doesn't play NEARLY as intelligent music as JFAC does. Dave Mustaine is a total douchebag who's vocals could never compare to those of Johnny Davy Are you stupid? Marty Friedman played guitar for Megadeth, he is one of the most intelligent musicians in any genre! AND, Mustaine wrote Rust in Peace, which is one of the best if not the best metal album in the history of the genre. Grow up. I saw JFAC and Megadeth live and the fact is no one cared when JFAC were playing and the only people who did had scene hair, and those people's opinions don't matter anyway. Also, not everyone has off shows. I haven't seen Megadeth have an off show. I haven't seen a lot of people have off shows because if you practice your profession in the little free time you have you do it right when you go on stage. JFAC are amateurs by the definition of their sound, which is the inability to make mature music. They are not death metal and never have been, they are pseudo-prog deathcore, it's trendy shit get over it. You want real death metal listen to Suffocation, Decapitated, Morbid Angel, etc.
    couldnt have put it better myself nikky
    TheReverend724
    PerpetualBurn wrote: Grow up. I saw JFAC and Megadeth live and the fact is no one cared when JFAC were playing and the only people who did had scene hair, and those people's opinions don't matter anyway.
    and what makes your opinion so superior? just because kids have scene hair and listen to JFAC make their opinions invalid? you sir, are the one who needs to grow up ps love the album, big improvement over genesis AZ deathmetal FTW!
    BuffaloBills91
    I can't keep up with all these new genres- deathcore, neo-grind, psuedo-something....What the **** just happened to heavy-****ing-metal? That's why I stick with Sabbath, Pantera and Lamb Of God (and no I'm not some "old guy"- I'm only 18)