Ruination review by Job for a Cowboy

• Released: Jul 7, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Job for a Cowboy: Ruination

JFAC is a good Myspace band that has come a long way. They've been around for quite a few years, and they absolutely demolished the competition with their Doom EP, and then did quite a good job gathering public appeal with their first actual CD, Genesis. What went wrong...? I don't know how to word this nicely, but they didn't try to make this CD sound... good. They were going for being technical and chaotic (inside-picking with scattered notes, odd solos, really fast double bass and blast beats). And in that respect, they did a good job (Get it? JOB!). But in now way did they want this to be "good". The scattered notes are everything but memorable. None of it is at all catchy, aside from a few selected parts (ie. the chorus in Unfurling a Darkened Gospel). The drummer, for his fills, randomly decides it's either a great time to spam some more double bass, snare and crash, or just to have loud, messy sex with his toms. To no suprise, this doesn't sound too good, or original in any respects. The bassist can be audible if you try, but like most metal bassists, "seen but not heard" is the motto. The guitar solos, while technical and requiring skill, are simply a string of off-sounding notes. They didn't use any type of scales, they just put on a blind fold and threw darts at a fretboard one by one to determine notes. There is no progression, there is no "clap your hands" part in which you can even grasp some of the ridiculous tempos they use... Also, Jonny thought it would be a great idea to turn his vocal track up to 11 and keep everyone else at a tepid 7. Thus even if the tracks WERE good/catchy, then you wouldn't be able to hear it through his singing.

Oh, lovely. In the majority of the CD - all of it, actually - it's Jonny Davy, the singer, complaining about humanity. This is alright. Cool. I'm all up for bashing the human race, especially under conditions where it's deserved. But the presentation is a joke. He does these random vocal harmonies with himself scattered throughout the songs. He blends it in with the chaotic music quite well. Jonny Davy is a unique singer once more, because he uses his highs again, as well as lows. Good screamer. So not terrible. By the way? To all death metal bands: No one wants your only word that you scream clearly and understandably in your entire album to be "masturbate" (Constitutional Masturbation).

Listening to this for a full day over and over, trying my hardest to like it just gave me this disappointing conclusion: This album is not good. I loved Doom. I've loved Doom for over 2 years straight. I still listen to it, practically religiously. Was it their most technical CD, or skillful? No. Was it the cleanest? No. Was it good? My god, yes. I was talking earlier about how none of the songs on Ruination are really catchy. Listen to the end of Suspended by the Throat off of Doom. THAT was a good guitar line. And I have no idea why they abandoned all of their fans who realized that they had something going for them just to please the death metal crowd. For those of you who can get into music that isn't necessarily catchy or amusing, and is just pure, unorganized chaos... I guess you'd like this album. They did a great job in that respect. But for those of us who like guitar lines that you actually play over and over in your mind because they are so good, or ANY instrument line, then flee from the city. The other reviewer mentioned something about most bands "throwing s*** at a studio window and making it into a CD", or something along those lines, then saying that JFAC is not an example of this. He's right. They peeled parts of the s*** off of the window, sorted through it to find the most potent and disgusting parts of it, and THEN put them into a blender with their former reputation as a respectable metal band before dishing it out to the masses. If this album was stolen from me, I would hunt down the man who stole it from me, tackle him, and then tell him to not listen to this. Not even a thief deserves something this terrible.

Lion_Slicer
    und3ad_s4int
    I still don't get how you can compare Megadeth to Job for a Cowboy... Two completely different bands from different eras who classify under different genres. Anyway, these guys are trying their hardest, which is ten times better than any of you on this board can do,so leave them alone. This album wasn't anywhere near as good as Born of Osiris', but I still listened to it and got a good thrashing out of it with my mates. On another note, I went to Mayhem Fest and saw them live. Not only was their performance terrific, their audience was composed of some of the heaviest guys I've ever seen, so I would like you all to think before you say they make music for scene kids (or that scene kids listen to them).
    explorer55
    Ruination is a great album, and they write some good songs. But I really don't like the way they structure them. By writing like 2 verses and repeating them about 8 times but with different rhythms behind them It's a disappointment to me, and shows that they're capable, but not all quite there I'm not really a big fan of Doom, because Deathcore doesn't really appeal to me, but they really progressed with Genesis, even though that was a kind of bland album Ruination has more of a feel and a quite a passionate energy to it, which is what makes it good, but the only grievance I have with it is the structuring The thing that stands out is the vocals, which are almost undecipherable unless you have the lyrics in front of you. His high vocals have gotten considerably better, but his lows have gotten slightly worse since Genesis. I wouldn't say JFAC are Death Metal, but they definitely aren't typical Deathcore. I'd say they're more Technical Deathcore. Their style certainly makes them stand out Favorite tracks on Ruination are probably Constitutional Masturbation, Butchering The Enlightened, Unfurling A Darkened Gospel, and Ruination Well worth a listen
    woflcopter
    how is this rated an overall 7 and doom and genisis are 9s? doom wasnt even that good, lots of trem picking and talentless breakdowns, not to mention the annoying pig squeals the scene kids loved so much. this album rapes doom and genisis, its kinda like genesis but more mature and jonny uses more variation in his vocals, which is nice. oh and screw that "deathcore" label b.s. theyre pretty much straight-up death metal now i'd say. they only get called "deathcore" because of Doom, which was when they were all in high school and couldnt play very technical stuff, and they said that theyre trying to distance theirselves from "deathcore" now. i think its a shame theyre still getting labeled as deathcore when they don't even do anything "core" these days. in my unbiased opinion, this album deserves AT LEAST an 8 out of 10. im not a fanboy or anything, 10 is a bit much. but i think this is a pretty good cd.
    darthzedd
    I think we should all compromise and say this album was at least decent :\ Personally I thought it was great. One of the things I like about this band, is they don't release the same album over and over. They all sound distinctly different. Which is something I can't say about other death metal bands :p Overall this really is a good CD. and if you think it's total crap, I hope you're not just saying that because people with scene hair like it. :p that's ridiculous.
    The_Rev_08
    Wow. I cannot believe some of these ****ing people. Who gives a shit what genre it is. Good music is good music regardless of the category. But I do prefer death metal. Personally I think JFAC is amazing and one of the best metal bands out today. And Ruination is ****ing brutal. Gettin it friday when I get paid!!
    bamslis
    If you're like me who thought it it going to be similar to Doom - don't buy it. I think they have drained their musical creativity a long time ago and it is time for them to get real jobs.
    skwissgar
    I'll admit that I didn't think "Unfurling a Darkened Gospel" was the best song to start the album off with considering the odd beginning, and I feel like that gave a lot of listeners a bad first impression. However, I liked/loved every other song on the album once I got past that beginning.
    skwissgar
    Personally, I think this album is a huge leap up from Genesis, and even Doom for that matter. Its actually more than a chain of breakdowns linked together. The songs don't have any filler parts, all the riffs are where they are for a reason, and they create and release tension throughout the whole song instead of trying to start moshes the whole time. They take the listener on a crushing tale of devastation instead of blowing it all up in your face at once with a million breakdowns. It was very brave of them to try stepping away from the whole deathcore scene and I respect them greatly for that and feel they did an amazing job on this album. Everyone should read the JFAC interview in the latest Guitar World magazine. It helps to explain why they made the decision to move away from the deathcore scene and what they thought after Genesis.
    Mr_CiNiC
    I have returned to laugh at all of you. Front page, reviewed 6/10. "Ruination will go down in history as just another death metal album." Pwnd.
    RLPatriots0499
    AmpleSteak wrote: Biased... Seems like they gave them a 9 casue they gave them an interview.
    I was thinking the same thing brotha
    gypsyjew22
    Great album, one of the best of the year so far. This album has awesome riffs, especially in "Summon The Hounds" it's ahhh so great! Don't hate on JFac 'cuz they are changing their sound each record, that's what bands are supposed to do! Doom is the best Though. Keep up the work JFaC
    Opethheir
    Ruination is ****ing sick. There's nothing as disgustingly good as this out there and you can definitely hear a progression from Genesis. Their new songs are more like songs rather than a collection of riffs and blastbeats. I'm not saying Genesis was a bad album at all but I thought half of it was really just filler despite it having some devastating songs. Ruination on the other hand is pure vulgarity from start to finish and its nice to hear some more technicality. Fucking well done lads.
    Mitchell.sides
    PLEASE STOP COMPARING EVERYTHING TO DOOM! The reason they don't sound like the same band that recorded DOOM is because they ARE NOT THE SAME BAND! I'm not certain how many original members are still in the band, but I know that both the current guitarists and the drummer, at least, joined the band after Doom was made. This means that the foundation of the music is completely different. Of course, when replacing members, a band generally gets similar players, which translates into a band that sounds somewhat similar to the original. In JFAC's case, a lot of people liked the original lineup and now that it's totally different, people are hating on them, which is ridiculous. As for my opinion of the CD, I think the "technical death metal" direction is great.
    Mr_CiNiC
    endless_fight1 wrote: Mr cinic, your're clearly not into tech-death. Not being personally into a genre doesn't make an album bad. I though this was a good cd and I like the way they changed their sound a bit.
    Nub.
    endless_fight1
    Mr_CiNiC
    Lion_Slicer wrote: Mr_CiNiC, I think you are being a little too critical, I didn't hear that kind of mayhem when I listened, I actually did find it both catchier and better overall than Genesis. That was my opinion after listening to it once at least, maybe my mind would change after a few more listens. But I do agree with you on the point you made about reviewers constantly writing glowing reviews that seem to try to convince you the album is perfect. Every time a new album comes out on here, I actually skip past any '10' review I see, because they're not honest. There's no score above 10. 10 MEANS NO IMPROVEMENT IS POSSIBLE. Flawless. Again I agree with Mr_CiNiC... despite its noticeable flaws, ...And Justice For All is my favorite album ever. And umm... cut the JFAC vs. Megadeth thing please? Honestly, it's nonsensical.
    Thanks for the educated response. Appreciated. Just the opening to the first song, it gives you that sense of "dude, what the hell is this?" And, sadly, I thought Genesis was pretty bad... In the sense that Ruination is better than Genesis, yeah, that's right. But otherwise... Just a bad CD. Thanks for fighting the retards saying that JFAC > Megadeth. \m/
    explorer55
    Ruination is a great album, and they write some good songs. But I really don't like the way they structure them. By writing like 2 verses and repeating them about 8 times but with different rhythms behind them It's a disappointment to me, and shows that they're capable, but not all quite there I'm not really a big fan of Doom, because Deathcore doesn't really appeal to me, but they really progressed with Genesis, even though that was a kind of bland album Ruination has more of a feel and a quite a passionate energy to it, which is what makes it good. Seems to me like they've discovered reverb. But the only grievance I have with Ruination is the structuring The thing that stands out the most is the vocals, which are almost undecipherable unless you have the lyrics in front of you. His high vocals have gotten considerably better, but his lows have gotten slightly worse since Genesis. I wouldn't say JFAC are Death Metal, but they definitely aren't typical Deathcore. I'd say they're more Technical Deathcore. Their style certainly makes them stand out Favorite tracks on Ruination are probably Constitutional Masturbation, Butchering The Enlightened, Unfurling A Darkened Gospel, and Ruination Well worth a listen