Ruination review by Job for a Cowboy

• Released: Jul 7, 2009
Job for a Cowboy: Ruination

Ok, so I'm doing my best on this to try and make up for the other two reviews. The first one was just a guy who thought that this was the most brutal album ever, and the other guy did nothing but bash it. It's his opinion that he didn't like the album, but I want to give a positive review on why the album was awesome. The band is definatley a well oiled machine on this album. The riffs are technical, but at the same time very catchy ( contrary to what was said in the other review). For instance, the main riff to unfurling a darkend gospel is really catchy, aswell as the beggining to ruination. Also, this isnt an album of pure speed and testosterone the entire time. It does have points where it slows down. Overall, it is a really good death metal album that I would recomend to any fan.

one of the highlights of Job For A Cowboy is Johnny Davy. He has an incredibly awsome voice. Very gutteral growl with a good high, but not quite as good as say trevor strand from the black Daliha Murder. His lyrics kind of lose points for me, I love bands that do political lyrics, as long as they are done well (i.e. Rage Against The Machine, Bad Religion). Unfortunatley, I wasn't a huge fan of the lyrics on this album. but, most of the time you can't hear the words anyways, soit dosent really matter. and when you can hear the vocal lines its usually pretty awsome sounding (i.e. in the title track, when he says "in the wake of a nuclear war", I thought that sounded badass) overall an 8 form me, for a great vocalist who just didn't do a great job (for me) at writing lyrics.

The guitar playing: with the addition of al glassman, it gave some of the parts a grindier feel to them. He is a great addition to the band, also stopping the band from tuning to drop-A (in a guitar world interview, they said they are tuning to D-standard on this album) some wierdly times riffs and catchy ass guitar lines, these guys did a great job on this album. Bass: couldnt really hear it most of the time, he dosent really stray from the guitar lines to much, making him kind of blend in. I'm a guitar player, but I really like when bands like cannibal corpse put the bass higher in the mix, it makes the overall sound better in my opinion. I will give him points for probably the most badass stretched ears ever though (haha) The drums: John Rice is not the worlds best drummer, but he's good at what he does. he plays what is nescasary to make the song a better song, and makes it a better record because of it. Overall, a smart drummer who isnt the most technically skillful, but good none the less. Overall, this is an awsome record. If you are a death metal fan, don't get all pissed because this is the band that recorded doom, they have changed ALOT. The only original members are johnny and maybe the bass player (I'm not sure). Just go check out this album. if this where stolen, I would definatley go get another copy, its an awsome album!

MetalLlama
    clitgorger
    PerpetualBurn wrote: Nikky666 wrote: You should rethink what you said MetalUpYourAss, 1- Everyone has off shows, And 2- Megadeth doesn't play NEARLY as intelligent music as JFAC does. Dave Mustaine is a total douchebag who's vocals could never compare to those of Johnny Davy Are you stupid? Marty Friedman played guitar for Megadeth, he is one of the most intelligent musicians in any genre! AND, Mustaine wrote Rust in Peace, which is one of the best if not the best metal album in the history of the genre. Grow up. I saw JFAC and Megadeth live and the fact is no one cared when JFAC were playing and the only people who did had scene hair, and those people's opinions don't matter anyway. Also, not everyone has off shows. I haven't seen Megadeth have an off show. I haven't seen a lot of people have off shows because if you practice your profession in the little free time you have you do it right when you go on stage. JFAC are amateurs by the definition of their sound, which is the inability to make mature music. They are not death metal and never have been, they are pseudo-prog deathcore, it's trendy shit get over it. You want real death metal listen to Suffocation, Decapitated, Morbid Angel, etc.
    this
    herzeleid1995
    I agree with the point that this album is certainly not what JFAC has done before. DOOM was really nothing special, pretty generic. Genesis was closer to death metal, but again pretty generic. What JFAC has here is certainly death metal, but that does not make it good on its own. I believe quite of few of these songs just blur into the same blast beat/ tremolo picking passages, and can be easily forgotten. Really, though, JFAC did write a few very good songs on this album - Constitutional Masturbation, Regurgitated Disinformation, Lords of Chaos, Ruination - that though they are at times pretty simple, they were good. JFAC knows how to right a driving, high energy rhythm and they know how to compose an awesome riff, which is worth ten of the best breakdowns any day of the week. And on a side note, the lyrics on this album were very intelligent. His points are clear and well organized, and though they lack subtlety they are easily a few steps above the throw-away nonsense most death metal bands pass as lyrics. Anyways my point is the band should not be brushed aside on the principle of genres, or what they once were. But at the same time, they should not be lauded because of their genre change. not to say that the genre categorization is bad, but the genre itself shouldn't be the end of a person's opinion on the music.
    98Timberwolf
    ShadowX395 wrote: I read everything in this forum and Im ashamed of it, how everyone lables everything, no matter what you all say this is total and utter bull crap, I read that crap about Megadeth and all this other crap on how bands are better, but Im taking a stand right here for real ****ing metal no matter what everyone says from the smooth sounds of Ozzy to the darkest of sounds Job For A Cowboy its all metal why does everyone have to go around classifying it as more different lables just the other day I heard scene kids calling stuff like "Whitechapel" And "JFAC" Emo Screamo crap and it pissed me off, Im a metal head who loves every kind of metal that exists from every style I listen to it all because it gives me a rush, it gives me inspiration to write my own music, it gives me a meaning and it strives me for everything. And people lable music over and over, Ive watched countless videos and alot of bands dont like it, dont like being called by other people of the world other crap, some bands are honored by it but there's some bands that everyone just pisses off, going online calling it dethcore, pushing it to be something, you think Dragonforce likes being called "The Guitar Hero SONG" for Through The Fire and The Flames? Do you think Suicide Silence likes being called dethcore? They said on Youtube they were METAL, so why cant you all just see it all as METAL? Its all different varietys and kinds of music, but to me and no matter what form its in, its all METAL, BE PROUD TO BE METAL AND BE PROUD OF METAL, The Greatest Music Alive with the most talent in the world as I believe METAL is a proud sound we can all confide in.
    As much as I would like to see an end to the genre wars I don't they will ever go away just because metal is so diverse that the sub-genres provide some means of categorization which we as humans are so obsessed with. Not to say categorization is always bad, but you get my point. In any case, I agree with you. Hats off to you sir/madam!
    ShadowX395
    C. BRUCE
    personally.....i frikin love this album. a couple songs could've been better but....still great though
    eward0
    i saw them live in april and he did a decent amount of pig squeels. and one of the reveiwers said that he does random harmonies with himself, but its actually the bassist that harmonises with him. the march to globall enslavement song has an awesome guitar solo and the whole CD is great too dont know why the second reveiwer is so negative. with this album they soud way more unique which is awesome
    MutilationOfMan
    i thought in most of the album it was like al glassman was trying to mimic Ravi Bhadriraju in some of the songs but i ****ing loved summon the hounds and a few more
    puremetal11
    great album, thought it was a big step forward. I wish people would stopping freaking out over all the deathcore and metalcore stuff on everything I read. I like death metal and deathcore. There's not much difference except deathcore has breakdowns.
    pwnd
    If only they could make a full album of songs like the ones on Doom... if only....
    death_unknown
    The top review is bullshit. This album is way better than doom or genesis. Embedded was the only song i can really get into on Genesis. The doom ep ****en launched the dudes into the Myspace Hall of Fame. The lyrics and concepts are badass. Just the song structure sucked on the first 2 efforts. Ruination is awesome all the way around. Al Glassman, ex- despised icon, is great. The drums are way better this time around. Jonny Davy is pretty well educated and knows the shit he sings about. Great cd. Definetly buy it.
    Fender700
    the ONLY thing thats good about this album is the old range of Jonny, minus the pig squeals....Genesis with ruinations vox woulda been SICK!
    Fender700
    Honestly this album didnt do it for me at all. There are 2 songs I can stand...RUINATION, and UNFURLING A DARKENED GOSPEL. But Seriously....what were they thinking? Having the ex Despised Icon guitarist probably contributed to this new shit...Ravi was the core writer of this band. once he left, it was bound to go downhill. I tried, this is just way too "all over the place" and stressful to listen to. makes me want to go into a coma...at least Genesis was understandable and somewhat catchy.
    Mr_CiNiC
    U need to find a new band to talk about, cuz u have no idea what ur saying. JFAC is death metal now. They decided that ur deathcore shit wasn't cool after their Doom Ep, so on their Genesis album, they went death metal. Ever think "maybe thats why i dont like them now." Ur probably one of those kids who gets off everytime u hear a breakdown.
    Feel better now?
    Nor'Easterbass
    MetalLlama wrote: MetalUpYourRear wrote: This was THE WORST band I have ever seen live. Almost made me regret seeing the Gigantour last year just because of them... But then Megadeth came on and made it all better by playing intelligent music. This! Their guitarist sucked so much he even screwed up playing his ridiculously simple guitar solo.
    no idea what you two are talking about. saw them last year in worcester and they were un-****ing-believable. everybody has off days tho i guess.
    Nor'Easterbass
    i personally thought this album was an amazing death metal album. the vocals got back what they were lacking on Genesis (mainly the highs but alot of ferocity), the guitars' complexity and thoughtfulness is unbelievable, the song structuring matured immensely, and the ****ing drums are insane! IMO anyone who rates this below a 9 is a complete waste of space and doesnt know metal for shit.
    ndrw_mlndz
    Mr_CiNiC wrote: I oughta put up a review. I commented a bunch on this, and I had only listened to 3 songs before. I got the album yesterday, and NOW I have the right to say that it sucks, considering I purchased it in person. They did not intend to make this sound good. They just wanted to sound "technical" and chaotic. The drummer (nice triggers) is either spamming the snare on blast beats of having sex with his toms. I play guitar and drums well, and I have a concept of what I hear in terms of skill. Yeah, he does double bass. Really well, actually. That doesn't mean that it sounds good. The guitarist, even in Unfurling a Darkened Gospel... God, he didn't even WANT it to be good, I swear it. Just the opening. It's these random notes with inside-picking, and it sounds 100% terrible. A lot of music I judge by how catchy it is, how much it sticks in my mind, how impressive it is. He didn't WANT it to be catchy. No one in this band wanted any of it to be good. Maybe the chorus of Unfurling a Darkened Gospel, which is alright. Jonny, of course, thought it would be a swell idea, like on that ass of an album, Genesis, to turn his vocal track to 11 and keep everyone else at a tepid 7. Even if the music was catchy or good, I wouldn't be able to friggin' hear it over his voice. This guys solos for guitar are terrible. Sure, they are kinda hard, I'll give him that, but in NO way is any of his guitar lines or solos even slightly memorable. Listening to this for a full day over and over, trying my hardest to like it just gave me this disappointing conclusion: This album is not good. I loved Doom. I've loved Doom for over 2 years straight. I still listen to it, practically religiously. Was it their most technical CD, or skillful? No. Was it the cleanest? No. Was it good? My god yes. Entombment of a Machine was a fantastic song. I was talking earlier about how none of the songs on Ruination are catchy. Listen to the end of Suspended by the Throat off of Doom. That... That was a good guitar line. And I have no idea why they abandoned all of their fans who realized that they had something going for them just to please the death metal crowd. For those of you who can get into music that isn't necessarily catchy or amusing, and is just pure, unorganized chaos... I guess you'd like this album. But for those of us who like guitar lines that you actually play over and over in your mind because they are so good, or ANY instrument line, then flee from the city. That's my opinion on this. Hope it helps you choose.
    ndrw_mlndz
    WTF!!! Is everyone retarded?!? JFAC use to be deathcore on their Doom EP. Now their just death metal, otherwise u'd hear a bunch of breakdowns. LEARN UR FUCKING MUSIC!!!
    JB95
    This band is getting better and better, but most of the titles on their songs cointain either words ending on -ation or -y and samilar endings. I find that a bit unoriginal, but that doesn't matter whan you can barely understand anyhting in their songs ;D