A New Day Yesterday review by Joe Bonamassa

• Released: Oct 24, 2000
Joe Bonamassa: A New Day Yesterday

Joe Bonamassa is one of the most unbelievable guitarists alive today. If not the very best, in my opinion. This was his very first album, but was the fourth one of his that I bought. His technique is flawless and amazing. He sounds similar to SRV and Eric Johnson. Much of his music is fast, rocky and bluesy. In my opinion, every track on this album is fantastic. Odds are, you will find a particular track you like, then end up listening to it on repeat for weeks on end. Then another track will take over after that! Though the album is brilliant all in one go too.

Lyrics on the album are mostly bluesy, with perhaps the exception of 'Miss You Hate You'. This track annoyed me a little at first, because it seemed as though Joe was trying too hard to be modern, though the lyrics are actually very very good. Joe is a brilliant singer, though you will probably only appreciate him as much as I do after listening to his songs over and over again. Don't forget, it's only him on the guitar. Sure, he may mix things, though 'Live at Rockpalast' shows how talented he is, because he plays the guitar incredibly and sings at the same time!

This is definately not my favourite Joe Bonamassa album, though it is by no means bad! Prior to this, I purchased 'Had to Cry Today', 'Blues Deluxe' and 'You & Me'. After the first two of these albums (You & Me can be a little tedious) he had a lot to live up to for me! Though after listening to this album for several hours, you'll begin to love it more and more. 'Miss You Hate You' is particularly good. So is his interpretation of Free's song, 'Walk in My Shadow'. 'A New Day Yesterday' also does well as the album's title track. The entire album is good, and I don't really dislike any of it. The only reason I give it 9 instead of 10 is because 'Had to Cry Today' and 'Blues Deluxe' are probably better albums than this, though 'A New Day Yesterday' is by no means a bad album!

SRV54to90
    KELLYJREY
    i just got turned on to bonamassa and am totally impressed. a friend sent me all his cd's and i can't find anything i don't like. i do know what you mean when you say you listen to one song a lot, like it, then move on to another track and so on and so on.
    StratSlinger421
    i love joe bonamassa. i wish he would get more attention to his incredible talent. if you like the blues and outrageously awesome ripping guitar, i suggest you buy any of bonamassa's albums. you will not be disappointed!!!!
    angusrokks
    SRV54to90 wrote: i have this album and i have to say it is great. and i always wonder why joe bonamassa isn't in the mainstream music. a lot of people would really like him.
    I'll have to say I strongly agree!
    angusrokks
    I plan to get this album, i already have his latest albums You & Me and Sloe Gin, and they're great albums, i'm gonna see him at music live in november! I can't wait now!
    KB22
    I saw him at ACL not knowing who he was, and prompty picked this album up. It's great.