Live At Rockpalast [DVD] Review

9.7
 1,123
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Live At Rockpalast [DVD] Reviewed by: tilleking, on january 16, 2007

Sound: Since I discovered Joe Bonamassa, he's been like a god to me. I first found him in a magazine ("Guitarist") doing some video lessons. He was incredible. His technique was literally breathtaking and he had some completely awesome sounds. So I immediately bought some CD's and this DVD (Joe Bonamassa Live at Rockpalast [recorded at the Burg Satzvey, Mechernich, Germany on June 28 2005]). His sound is similar to that of Stevie Ray Vaughan, but there is a lot of evidence of Eric Johnson's influence in his playing. Many solo's mimic his tone pretty perfectly. He mixes the sounds of many great blues players over the past half century, to create his own, fantastic sound. In the DVD, he uses his instantly-recognisable Gigliotti Telecaster-shaped guitar, which is very metallic! Other guitars include several Les Pauls, and a slightly unusual Strat. His music is all incredible. The songs are fantastic. They blow your mind technically and sound like 'proper' songs. He plays lead guitar, and is the only guitarist. Then there's the bassist: Eric Czar, and the drummer: Kenny Kramme. Both are a wonderful complementation to Joe's fantastic playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I've watched this DVD hundreds of times because I love it so much. It gives a little insight into Joe's playing, though even after watching it, odds are you won't be able to play the guitar like he does! It is one of the best music DVDs I own (up there with the 'big boys' like Crossroads Festival). There isn't a 'most impressive thing' on the DVD, because the entire thing is impressive! It will blow your mind. I love absolutely everything about it. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely purchase it again. Highly recommended to any Bonamassa/SRV/Hendrix/Clapton fan! // 10

Comments