So, It's Like That review by Joe Bonamassa

• Released: Aug 13, 2002
Joe Bonamassa: So, It's Like That

I consider myself one of the biggest Joe Bonamassa fans around. Now that I've bought this CD, I now proudly own all of his stuff. His sound is quite simply superb. However, this album shows a different side to Joe Bonamassa, it's far less bluesy than his other music. It's a lot 'rockier' or 'heavier'. And this is far from a bad thing. It's wonderful to mix up the usual Bonamassa stuff with this faster paced stuff. There's lots of heavy rock sounding guitar parts plus plenty of acoustic parts mixed in there too. There are some fabulous riffs on the album, including "Lie #1" and "Takin' The Hit". Some songs will have you singing them for months on end and once you've heard it, you won't want to stop listening to them. "Mountain Time" in particular, is very addictive. Overall, Bonamassa sounds fantastic on this album. It IS different to his usual 'SRV-type' blues sound, but is very good nonetheless.

As per usual, this album features some brilliant lyrics that will stick to your mind like glue. The lyrics in the majority of the songs on this album are very modernised compared to much of Joe's other stuff. I've always thought that Joe Bonamassa has a very good singing voice, though I know that others find his vocals little 'temperamental'. I believe that the vocals on this album are Joe Bonamassa at his best. Some really catchy lyrics and fantastic vocals singing them.

Overall, this album is fantastic. I might even go as far as to say that it's my favourite Bonamassa album. However, it's important to remember the big differences between this music and his other blues stuff. The most impressive songs are "Mountain Time", "Lie #1", "Takin' the Hit" and "My Mistake". If you're into blues and want to get into Bonamassa, I suggest you buy "Blues Deluxe." If you're more into rock than blues, then this is the starter Bonamassa album for you. You're guaranteed to love it.

albino strat!
    I've seen him twice and I'm willing to say Smokin Joe is the best blues-rock guitarist on the scene right now. I'll have to pick this one up after reading your review, although I've heard most of the songs on either DVDs or at the shows.
    angusrokks
    Smokin' Joe is absolutely AWESOME! When are ppl gonna get that into ther heads!!