Have Guitar, Will Travel review by Joe Perry

• Released: Oct 6, 2009
Joe Perry: Have Guitar, Will Travel

While many people might buy this CD because they want to hear an Aerosmith like sound, might be slightly disappointed at first. Have Guitar, Will Travel shows Joe Perry's own musical tastes and personalities. The single, "We've Still Got A Long Way To Go", sounds like a modern rock pop song, but it still sounds very good, and proves that this CD could appeal to a wide audience. Every song has it's own set up, such as different guitar tones. In fact, in one song, "Oh Lord", the drums are set up on just on the left speaker, early Doors style. This makes the song sound very unique. There are a few songs that sound similar to early Aerosmith records. One of them is a old Peter Green Fleetwood Mac cover of "Somebody's Gona Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight", which has a very "barlike" sound to the song. My favorite song on the CD is a song called "No Suprise", which features a talk box solo that makes you want to play air guitar.

Have Guitar, Will Travel, features a German lead singer, other than Perry, on the CD. This lead singer's name is Hagen and has a wide vocal range. Some might question if Perry wanted a singer that sounded similar to Steven Tyler in Aerosmith, but at the same time he sounds different too. The listener will have to decide this for themselves. Both Hagen and Perry share about half of the vocal duties each on this CD.

I love this CD! Like other Joe Perry CD's there is a mix of elements in this. Some of the songs might not be liked straight away as they sometimes feel cluttered with guitar tracks, but listening to it multiple times will make it sound better. Also the songs are appropriate for people of all ages. This is great for parents who don't want their kids listening to any of this "new rock" that is vulgar and aggresive. There are some very great tracks on this record, and I believe that everybody should try to listen to this.

TheLifeguard
    yup, the track "Somebody's Gonna Get (Their Head Kicked In Tonite) isn't aggressive at all Not a bad album. Bought it the day it dropped.
    Rokkec
    queenslander47 wrote: Joe Perry sure is one colorful guy
    Let`s not go there again xD
    blackcatHA
    idk....i really dont like pop....but i guess when joe played it he made it sound good....
    shamsen
    Wow, i'd love to hear it actually... I think Joe Perry is a cool guy, but never imagined him go solo :O
    FERAL1975
    Never imagined he'd go solo? I know! it's not like this is his 4th Joe Perry Project album and his 5th solo album in total...oh hang on!
    mysterytrain
    I was in no hurry to listen to this CD but after doing so today I have to say this is obviously not the guitarist that played those memorable licks from the 70s. Joe should've hired the guitarist who were "secretly" used on Get Your Wings and Toys In The Attic. Would've made for much better listening this afternoon, in my opinion.