Crystal Planet review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Mar 3, 1998
Joe Satriani: Crystal Planet

The production is great. The sound value is precisely engineered to get the most out of every note played. This is before his signature Ibanez, so it more of a classic Satch tone. The opening harmonic riff on Up In The Sky is such an original sound, and literally makes you feel like your surfing in a cloud. He then displays on other track his blues phrasing abilities, mellow, ambient compositions, and near metal shred style. As far as the techinal specification of equipment and recrding technioques used I am not sure of, so there is probably no groundbreaking innovation. Just classic, straigh ahed Satriani soundwriting arrangement.

No lyrics. Pure music on guitar. If you are not a guitar freak, especially electric guitar freak who gets off on great solos, loud distortion, and overall great blues/rock oriented shred, you will still pleasure in the album, but not to the degree that serious guitar enthusiasts will.

This album pretty much inspired me to pursue a greater degree of playing. As soon I as I heard these guitar lines and solos, I told myself, I want to play this. Pretty ambitious of a 15 year old who had only 2 years experience. I ordered the tab book and pretty much used those as lessons for several years. 8 solid years of practice, lessons, jamming, bands, it has paid off in the best way possible. I can navigate through these songs and play his phenomonal solos pretty accurately. Not to get off the point of the review of this album, I just need to express the absolute impact this album has had on my life. Sounds like a lot for an album but this is literally the closest thing to guitar perfection in my mind. It sounds as if every note was selected individually to compose these pieces. Thank you Joe Satriani.

Lin
    this is satriani's best since surfing, if not his best. not one song here i would go without.
    sooperskamaster
    genius and writes fantastic music. Most impressive songs for me are, "Up In The Sky," "Lights Of Heaven," "Time," "Crystal Planet," "A Train Of Angels" and "With Jupiter In Mind." I highly reccomend this album to any guitar lover. If it was stolen I would buy it again and some others
    Cazz3000
    Much prefered and appreciated the first review. The second was nothing anyone probably didn't know prior to listening to it.
    RCalisto
    Baroque_and_Rol wrote: great album, but it could definately use remastering
    needs remastering? u must have downloaded a crappy version of the album over the internet.. anyways this album is quite perfect i would say.. the time song is kinda boring on the intro part.. but its nice after that.. and the last song z.z.'s song is.. well.. i dunno what it is.. but the overall sound of the album is pretty much other worldish best songs would be 'up in the sky' 'crystal planet' 'house full of bullets' 'raspberry jam delta-v' 'ceremony' 'love thing' 'lights of heaven' 'a train of angels' pretty much half of the album xD
    guitarsolo_17
    tell ya what.....i played the Raspberry Jam Delta V live at a decent sized outdoor gig a few weeks back.....GREAT RESPONSE!.....it's stayin, people love it...even the non guitar enthusiasts.....i don't actually think there were any there.