Flying In A Blue Dream review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Jan 1, 1989
Joe Satriani: Flying In A Blue Dream

This is by far the most versatile Joe Satriani yet. Joe sings, plays a banjo, shows off his two hand tapping skills, and his amazing improv and solos. Joe's sound is unlike any ohter, especially in this album. For example in one song ("The Phone Call") it has a sort of country sound and feel to it, or in "The Feeling" he plays a banjo. His solos are top notch in the song "Big Bad Moon" he gives a kind of heavier sound with a lightning fast solo. Some of the songs are rather short though. Headless is only a minute and thirty seconds long and the feeling is only fifty seconds long, still great though. I would have to give him a 9 because some parts of the song could get a little repetitive. Still a great album though.

This is by far his most lyrical album, in 18 songs he sings in 6 of them. The lyrics are a little strange and oddly put together but hes not a bad singer. The songs he sings in are: "Cant Slow Down", "Starnge", "I Believe", "Big Bad Moon", "The Phone Call", and "Ride". Joe has sang before in other songs like "Lifestyle" and "I Like The Rain". Hes not a bad singer but I'd rather just hear guitar although it is nice for a change of pace.

This album raises the bar for his other albums. Joe has really out done himself with this album. joe has put so many new things into his music; singing, a banjo etc. ITheres not really much to hate, I guess the songs could be a little longer. I love his solos, his two hand tapping, even his singing. I have had this album for quite some and I liten to it frequently, I would buy it again if anything happened to it. Honestly if you love Joe and appreciate his work then this album will make you very happy. Thers just so much on this album to take in and enjoy.

guitarsolo_17
    lol.....Joe has song before "Blue Dream" on the "Is There Love In Space" Album?....you sure about that?