Live In Paris: I Just Wanna Rock [DVD] review by Joe Satriani

• Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 4
  • Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Joe Satriani: Live In Paris: I Just Wanna Rock [DVD]

Regardless of whether you think his music delivers the proper emotional content, Joe Satriani has proven time after time that his technical chops are among the best in the business. Even his Chickenfoot bandmates (specifically the ex-Van Halen gang) have indicated that while Eddie Van Halen may be a master musician, Satriani can pretty much play anything you put in front of him. The man is also no stranger to live albums and/or DVDs, so it's always interesting to see how Satch will top himself. As expected, his latest release Live In Paris: I Just Wanna Rock features no shortage of his trademark virtuosity, but unfortunately it gets mired in an editing nightmare. For those fans who relish any release studio or live from Satriani, it would be recommended to purchase the CD version of I Just Wanna Rock. In many ways it acts as a best-of glimpse at Satriani's career, and the audio mix is top-notch. Included in the over two-hours worth of material are the grooving Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat, the tap-happy Satch Boogie, the sleek Flying In A Blue Dream, and Ghosts, which is driven by a haunting Middle-Eastern flavor. There's enough stylistic variety within the 22 songs that boredom is never an issue. A few of the standout tracks aren't necessarily studio-album material. Bandmate Stuart Hamm, a master musician in his own right, delivers a stunning bass solo toward the end of the set that rivals Satriani's own work. Just as entertaining is Crowd Chant, one of the final numbers that is essentially a musical trade-off between Satriani and the Paris audience. For as many memorable moments like the ones in Crowd Chant or the bass solo, there are an equal amount of visual distractions and therein lies the problem.

Content — 8
When one examines the overall length of the Paris show, Satriani did not skimp on material. Sadly, at times you wish things were a little shorter because the editing is so over-the-top. In terms of bonus material, the primary extra on the DVD is a 40-minute-plus interview with Satriani. He covers topics ranging from songwriting style to his relationship with his fans, and it's generally an interesting glimpse at the guitarist.

Production Quality — 4
As far as the production quality goes, where does one begin? The editor of I Just Wanna Rock seems to have gone slap-happy while playing with his software programs. From the skull motif that shows up over key guitar solos to the annoying ultraviolet-like effect to the I Wanna Rock text sprawled across the screen during the first number, it's all too much. For most Satriani fans, each guitar solo particularly Satriani's execution might seem like a rather important aspect to feature in a DVD. Well, the editor of I Just Wanna Rock apparently didn't get this note. Rarely do you get to focus in on any one thing for more than a few seconds at a time because some wacky motif gets painted across the screen. The one saving grace is during Hamm's bass solo, when the musician receives the most tasteful editing job in the set.

While it's hard to deny that Satriani is still at the top of his game, I Just Wanna Rock did him a disservice. The DVD seems more like a crazy editing experiment that went terribly awry. Musically, the songs Surfing With The Alien, Time Machine, and Super Colossal are still insanely good, but even broaching musical perfection can't save I Just Wanna Rock from becoming a monstrous visual headache.

gotapenny5
    It seems that this happens a lot in live concert DVDs. The same lack of production quality can also be seen in Muse's "Hullabaloo" DVD of the band's live performance in Paris. The shot jumps from camera to camera literally twice every second. It's obviously not the performer's fault in these instances, just cut and paste editors that seem to make your head spin.
    Lrn2play
    The funniest thing about this tour was my favorite song at the time was Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing, and that was the only song off this list he didnt play.
    littlephil
    zepfan1248 wrote: whoever said he's not a good composer you might wanna watch this:
    related
    Whoever edited that DVD should be shot. I wonder what Joe thinks about it?
    zepfan1248
    yea ok i should have said "listen" instead of watch lol. it reminds me of the amon amarth dvd set, migraine inducing
    jmanira
    Yeah so the editing is atrocious, but aside from that, you are an uninformed, nave idiot if you think hes not a great composer His phrasing is incredible and not to reiterate what everyone has said, but its true, there is a lot of emotion and feeling in his melodies and tone. There is really no one quite like him and its not about the technical part of playing, a LOT of people can do that, the real skill is in the melodies, the phrasing and what sound you can produce. I prefer Satch over a technical guy who has zero musical talent. Its kinda comparing Satch to Batio Batio might be much quicker and more technical but the real talent comes from the music Satch can create. Satch is musically brilliant. Thats the bottom line.
    PabloMamouna
    I have this DVD, and i hate it. Total waste of money. For gods sake, buy the album, because looking for 5 minutes at the DVD will make you feel sick. The music is perfect, but it seems that the studio that edited the DVD hired a 8 years old brat and gave him Windows Movie Maker with the 200 most horrible filter effect you can ever imagine, and the kid didnt waste a single one of them. The result is totally unwatchable, and it makes me wonder if it even was a professional company that edited this DVD. An amateur could do a way better job. The music and Joe Satriani's guitarplay is top notch though, so this DVD is usefull to play with the TV off, and only the sound on.
    Kind of like Korn's "Live" video, great music but damn hard to watch.
    FretboardToAsh
    SOADriff wrote: Why do all of his releases have really cheesy titles?
    Read this once, the answer went like this. "It's an instrumental, I can call it whatever the **** I want."
    soundgarden1986
    People in this comment section here really like to hassle the guy who said his songs are boring. I agree with axelaxe personally. I respect his skill and everything. He is undoubtedly a phenomenal guitarist, but his songs do not really appeal to me in any way.
    americnidiot
    Why is this an argument over his playing and songwriting? It's a dvd review. Regardless of his playing, the editing on the dvd is dismal and over the top on 99% of the material I've seen from it.
    rhoadrunner
    sven_svensk wrote: What in the hell where they thinking? It's lsd trip
    whoa, wat if you took lsd and then watched it..... it would like be lsd times two
    wasp2020
    Stick to the CD if you must. The DVD is nigh unwatchable. Literally effects everywhere. Either it's some awful WMP visualization blocking out everything in the video, or it's the actual vid soaked in 500 different filters. It's ridiculous and embarassing, it looks like a bad high school video project. Do not reccomend it.
    richiej
    I have it and it and it sucks, too many filters, block the performance.
    Dragon Fly
    I disagree with you. Yngwie Malmsteen also composes songs with lyrics. His instrumental songs might be a bit too much of the same sometimes, but check out albums like Seventh Sign, Fire and Ice or Facing the Animal, and you'll here some great songs!
    Dragon Fly
    Dragon Fly wrote: graysonsoares wrote: axelaxe wrote: Hes a great guitarist, although not a great composer. His songs are quite boring. You could probably say that bout malmsteen but satch!! no way man! I disagree with you. Yngwie Malmsteen also composes songs with lyrics. His instrumental songs might be a bit too much of the same sometimes, but check out albums like Seventh Sign, Fire and Ice or Facing the Animal, and you'll here some great songs with lyrics, not just guitarsolo's and guitarthemes!
    Ekofu
    What? Seriously?
    Dumpster510
    I bet if this was more like the Live 2006 DVD people would be on here complaining about how this new DVD is the same as the old one, many of teh same songs, etc. I watched the DVD and didn't have a problem with it. I heard one guy going on about how he wanted to watch Satch playing so he could learn how to play some of the solos...If that's what you're interested just surf youtube, don't buy the DVD. All music dvds cut away from each camera angle at least every 5 seconds or so, some even sooner.
    Sharath
    I just love Satriani's work till this album..have all his albums and dvds and anything satriani off youtube...dont know why but i feel his sound in LIP is not great..lacking in that Live in SF sound...however good the audio editing might have been, the improvisations, the sound all seem boring...every track i listened to i just wanted to skip to the next track until finally i realised ran thro 22 tracks without having found anything in LIP that even compares to his previous work..his setlist is getting really old...adding a handful of new one which are not even close to many other beautiful songs he has yet to play live
    AnDR0iD
    0 points for production quality. I couldnt enjoy the Andalusia solo because of psychedelic pictures flying all around the screen, effects that make me sick.
    liquidguitar
    This was by far the worst product Satriani has ever released. I am VERY disappointed in this video. The constant switching and cheese efx was horrible. I thought people quit that crap when the asian kids started freaking out? Anyway, I love satch but im sending this video back to him. As far as setlist. Another disappointment. he played the same old tired songs just like Steve Vai. They re-release the same crap over and over and expect us to freak out and think its great. Joes new album was AWESOME and im proud of that but vais new album.. Oh wait that lzy moron hasnt released anything new (of substantial amount) in over 8 years. So these guys need to get to work. Joe is still the man (your video SUCKS) but the music awesome as ever. Vai? your lazy dude. get over your stupid contests and write some damn songs
    Jasonbts
    I agree 100%. It's hard to enjoy the music when it feels like your about to have a seizure.
    the Joe Satriani Live! was much better, i think it was in san francisco
    Lrn2play
    lol i just got it and totally understand why the review pisses on the editing / effects.
    agm_ultimatex
    I watched the promo, which showed I just wanna rock. It's too much with the effects, reminds me of the Live Scenes From New York Dream Theater DVD.
    axelaxe
    Astaldo
    axelaxe : Hes a great guitarist, although not a great composer. His songs are quite boring.
    ?? - I'll take a look
    littlephil
    SOADriff wrote: Why do all of his releases have really cheesy titles?
    It really makes sense to call it I Just Wanna Rock, with it being one of the songs from his last album. What else would he have called it?
    I disagree. I dont think any of his songs are boring.
    ILoveGuitar07
    SOADriff wrote: Why do all of his releases have really cheesy titles?
    i just wanna rock is a song off one of his newer albums.
    ILoveGuitar07
    I disagree. we all have our opinions!
    Tha_Reaper
    |Guitarhead|
    Krieger91
    well no..you just have to be in the right mood, and you have to feel like instrumental music, to listen to him...he's just one of those, like pink floyd, that you can't listen to him all the time, you have to be in the mood
    Chozodragon
    SOADriff wrote: Why do all of his releases have really cheesy titles?
    Yeah, like Live in San Francisco. I'll check the CD version, thanks for the review.
    bucketslasher34
    [quote]"Regardless of whether you think his music delivers the proper emotional content, Joe Satriani has proven time after time that his technical chops are among the best in the business." WTF!!!! That's the thing that is most amazing about Joe Satriani, he makes more emotion filled music than anyone else out there! I don't even see him as a 'technical' guitarist, he simply uses technique as a tool now and again. If I wanted technique I'd listen to Michael Angelo Batio or some other emotionless shredder./quote] +1
    graysonsoares
    You could probably say that bout malmsteen but satch!! no way man!
    GreenSaosiner
    related
    That video would be awesome if it weren't for the horrendous editing.
    Chozodragon
    I looked at some vids of it on Youtube and indeed ... It's like the editor tried every single new possibility of his software in a sandbox. Except that now he wants to sell us the sandbox.
    Gingrel
    |Guitarhead| wrote: "Regardless of whether you think his music delivers the proper emotional content, Joe Satriani has proven time after time that his technical chops are among the best in the business." WTF!!!! That's the thing that is most amazing about Joe Satriani, he makes more emotion filled music than anyone else out there! I don't even see him as a 'technical' guitarist, he simply uses technique as a tool now and again. If I wanted technique I'd listen to Michael Angelo Batio or some other emotionless shredder.
    +1, I hate listening to people who just sit and shred, Satch delivers emotion. Have you heard "Come On Baby" off his latest album? Pure genius
    tbproductions
    He's like the little kid of all the great guitar players, in my opinion. Watched some stuff with him, malmsteen, and vai. It was like they knew what they were doing, but he just made a bunch of fast "technical" sounding noise. Plus he messes up live almost on a regular basis.