Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
Joe Satriani: Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock

Of course Satch cranks out yet another album to astonish fans. I picked up the album today and it sounds great! Right up the ally of all-things-Joe. I got the DVD/CD set where he talks about this making of a few songs as well as only being able to play "Crushing Day" off "Surfing with the Alien" sitting down! Great album, read what I have to say about it. 01. Musterion - first track is Musterion, from the greek meaning "mysterious". This track is very ominous; I get the feeling of being in an ally surrounded by all things evil. Very spooky and corky with the guitar coming in with the strong wah giving the sense of almost being watched as you walk the dark streets of a big city. 02. Overdriver - really cool intro! With the octave thing going on, the the bass and drums come rolling in. There is this feeling of almost being in a state of nirvana. The songs then turns out to show something going from serious to happy. Great song, one of my favorite on the CD. 03. I Just Wanna Rock - what is your purpose? So you have never been exposed to a concert before and you stumble upon this great crowd explaining that "I just wanna rock!" This is the story of a robot that has never experienced a concert before and gets a little lesson on rock'n. Great song; my favorite part is the solo that Joe just rips into with just gool 'ol distortion and the pentatonic scale. Great work! 04. Professor Satchafunkilus - very smooth, laid back and with cool effects everywhere! Slow-paced with few notes in between. Strong beat with a funky jazz-like rhythm to show everyone how fly this professor really is. 05. Revelation - possibly one of my favorite songs on the album. Very strong beat with a good guitar riff to follow. I just want to lay back and take in what the world has to offer when I listen to this song. Just giving a thought to a different method of looking at something comes to mind. Love the piano and the doubling of guitars. 06. Come On Baby - what better way to show your love than writing a love ballad to that special someone? that's exactly what this is. The intro lick is just so overwhelming. There is just something about this song that I can't help but listen to it over and over. Few notes say so much in this song. 07. Out Of The Sunrise - a piano is used a lot in this song. Very soft, almost something you might see in a movie as the sun comes up from the Earth in a way to show re-birth or a new life. Cool whammy-effect usage. 08. Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat - so when you think you're just the fliest guy around and diggin' your own style, Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat! Very hip new-agy kinda sounding. The song about the guy who everyone wants to be cause, well, he's just so fly and out of everyones league. Sweet guitar work, love the all-natural guitar for the solo and the little sweeping run of course. 09. Asik Veysel - Asik was a Turkish poet, singer, songwriter and everything in between. This song was inspired by his life-long journey and his love for music. Very upbeat with a very cool intro tapping thing with both hands. Songs goes on with a lot of delay and panning of the guitar to the left speaker (I soon realized). Lots of usage of open chords with a moderate solo that flows well with the song. 10. Andalusia - this song was also inspired by Asik. The intro is with an Eastern-style type riff played only on the acoustic guitar with hands in the back clapping along with the beat to give the sense of being somewhere not in the states. Great smooth song that flows well then becoming more intense by then being played on the electric guitar. It becomes more fast-paced and harder. Bass sounds great too.

No lyrics, everything this man plays seems to sound extremely vocal. Great use of all tools, instruments and tricks used to make everything sound so full. Love the use of the talk-box, great idea to use it for the robot; I would have done the same! Once again, you should add this album to your collection if you have not already.

If you liked his Super Colossal album, you will like this one. My favorite song would have to be Asik Veysel. Very rock type of song that might be fun to just improvise over later on when I learn it! Not my favorite album because there aren't a lot of songs on here that are just mean and nasty and down right rockin'. Although they are all great, I just like other albums better. Although I don't like this album a lot, I will listen to it for weeks(and probably change my mind about it). Great album, grab it!

BlisteringDDj
    K'm-Pee-Du-Wee wrote: I think OldHairyOne used "esque" too much in this reveiw btw, isnt that a talkbox in "I wanna rock"?
    I'm quite sure it is. If not, you could still use a talkbox to get the same sound.
    dogismycopilot
    Sure is
    SomeMetalLover
    The Intro Tapping from Asik Vaysel sound a lot from the iron maiden song: Paschendale sorry for bad english by the way Fantastic album!