Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Apr 1, 2008
Joe Satriani: Professor Satchafunkilus And The Musterion Of Rock

As usual, Joe Satriani's playing is phenomenal. He sticks to his legato a lot in this album. There however is one song that he plays on a spanish guitar and it sounds great, you don't hear Joe play flamenco often. The playing is perfect, there are guitar parts that tease, your waiting for the one perfect harmonic and it doesn't come until later and it catches you by suprise, making the song that much better. Joe plays some funk, some blues, a lot of rock and r&bish in one song. People are turned off by the talkbox in I just wanna rock but I thinkthere are plenty other good songs to make up for that. 01. Musterion - this song has a very mysterious (as the name implies) feel to it. The beginning chords can easily get stuck in your head. Reminds me a bit of Cool #9 for some reason. 02. Overdriver - this song reminds me of the future. When I hear the distorted melody I think of robots and space, Joe's favorite song topic. 03. I Just Wanna Rock - very catchy song. A bit cheesy and AC/DC-ish but it's just awesome. The talk box chorus will get stuck in your head. 04. Professor Satchafunkilus - funky song. Least favorite on the CD because I am not to into funk. 05. Revelation - the guitar tone in this song is perfect. This song sounds very sincere like it's really telling you a secret. 06. Come One Baby - reminiscent of Always with me, always with you, but I prefer Awm, awy. 07. Out Of The Sunrise - nice bluesy and upbeat, the kind of song you want to wake up to. 08. Diddle-Y-A-Doo-Dat - names a bit of a tongue twister and the into/outro riff is a finger breaker I better. It sounds better live but it's pretty good on the record I'm just not fond of the pinch harmonics that he uses, they seem incomplete in this song. 09. Asik Vaysel - this song reminds me of Ireland (see Glasgow Kiss by John Petrucci). Similar to redshift riders from Super Colossal. 10. Andulasia - one of the best songs on the album, imo, it really shows Joe's ability to play technical yet emotional music while picking out the coolest guitar tones ever.

There are no lyrics except in I just wanna rock but in terms of how well the music blends it is perfect. Joe Satriani's indepth knowledge of music theory ensures perfect harmony.

This reminds me a bit of John Petruccis Reanimation CD but I think I prefer this one. It feels like a continuation of Super Colossal almost. My favorite song on the album is probably Musterion followed closely by Revelation. The riff in Revelation is catchy as well. If I lost it I would buy it again, I better not lose it though, I got it signed by Joe himself. The only think I wish it could improve on is a bit more rock to it, like surfing with the alien.

silvershredder
    One of my favourite Satch albums by far. I can totally see 'Come on Baby' and 'Out of the Sunrise' becoming repeated constantly on my iPod. Now I just need to sit down and learn some of these insanely amazing riffs!
    stiff-upper-lip
    amazing album, one of my favorite albums by him. I've had it just under a month and still not bored of it. its amazing.
    axefreak129
    this is one of few albums i have wanted badly enough to shell out almost $20 for. my money was not wasted.