Strange Beautiful Music review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Jun 25, 2002
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Joe Satriani: Strange Beautiful Music

The sound is overall nothing that Satch hasn't done. The only difference is the Eastern melodies on "Oriental Melody" and "Belly Dancer." The sound isn't bad, but it just isn't really innovative. Satch may switch from genre to genre every CD, but that doesn't make him an innovative musician. I am still disappointed to not hear Satch apply himself; he can play so much better than he does than on this disc, but he never pushes forward. The sound is good, and this is his second best album ever, but in my opinion he needs to push some boundaries; all we get are a bunch of radio-friendly instrumental songs. Sound=good, inovativeness=lack of.

There are no vocals on this album, it's all instrumental. Good thing, too, because Satch was a horrible singer until the next album. Have you ever heard "I Believe" and "Big Bad Moon?" Can you say tone deaf? He picks up for his bad vocal skills on "Lifestyle" and "I Like The Rain" on his next album.

Overall, it's one of Satch's better discs. He went innovative with the switch to electronica on "Engines of Creation," but then he sticks to the same old rock formula on this one. He's such a good guitarist, but he never applies himself. All we hear from him are 3-5 minute radio friendly instrumentals, nothing new or challenging. It's a good disc ("Is There Love In Space" is still his best), but once again a lack of application makes this just another run-of-the-mill Satch disc. If only he could be as innovative as he was on "Engines."

RCalisto
    CrowLord
    I fell in love with this album as soon as i heard it. Chords of Life and Mind Storm are super-fantastic
    guitarsolo_17
    well...this guy who said he never applies himself has apparently never got really into the feel of Joe's music. Joe's playin is about feel, not to be faster then Dragonforce/Malmsteen.
    ibaneztron
    RCalisto wrote: uhmm i dont really understand how people say this is one of joe's best.. in my opinion this album is really no good.. u guys really have to listen to surfing with the alien.. flying in a blue dream.. the extremist.. time machine.. super colossal..crystal planet..
    Ignore this deluded person