Strange Beautiful Music review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Jun 25, 2002
Joe Satriani: Strange Beautiful Music

The sound on this album is crystal clear. Whether this is due to the 7 string that was used, I don't know, but it is perfect. Every note rings through. The actual music on this is incredible. "The Traveler". Is an awesome track, full of emotion and has a really good chord sequence. Even though it has the same chord sequence as "All Along The Watchtower" in a part, it just doesn't sound like it. There is another love song on this, called "You Saved My Life", which in my opinion isn't such a good song, but is the only weak track on the album. My favourite is "The Journey". This is a very appropriately named song, you really can imagine someone going on a journey to this. It starts with a thundering solo, moves into an awesome verse, then after another thundering solo, moves into an amazing chord sequence, then goes back to a sweet E major.

There are no lyrics on this album, as it is instrumental. There are no words needed though, as the quality of the music itself is top quality. The melodies go perfectly over the chord sequences, but I have come to expect no less of Satch. His perfect melodic sense is showcased here again. I can't rate singer skills, but guitar skills, I can. Joe uses an array of skills on this album, although his whammy bar antics seem to calm down on it. His soloing is on good form, melodic-ness is present.

This album is one of his best, parallelled only by "Black Swans", or "Crystal Planet". It is also better than most other instrumental albums I've heard. The best songs, I would say, are "The Journey", "The Traveler", "Sleep Walk", "Starry Night", and "Hill Groove". The things I like most about it would have to be the way that, in most songs, he doesn't just move on from an idea, he stays on it, and comes back to it. This is always good, as his ideas are second to none. Something that I don't like is the fact that... Umm... Er... The fact is that there is nothing I dislike about this album. But that's just me. I'm sure other people will find fault with it. If I lost this or had it stolen, I would track down the person who stole it and shout at them until they either gave it back or bought me a new one. Failing that, I would buy another one myself.