Super Colossal review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Mar 14, 2006
Joe Satriani: Super Colossal

On this record, Satriani's tone is definitly lacking (when compared to other records like Crystal Planet, SBM, and ITLIS?). To me, its sounds like the album was recorded at an extremely low volume, with minimal backing rhythm to give it depth. Either that or it is his new Peavy JSX amps. I'm not sure. But to my ears its not up to snuff. The music is very similar in style to his previous records, almost borrowing the same musical themes/ideas/sounds. Some of the songs are great however. Crowd Chant, with a mutli-voice chorus of satch's friends, is a somewhat different and pleasingly unique approach to Satch's style. Its So Good is another good track.

This time, there are no lyrics. Thank god because Satriani cant sing too well.

Overall, I was dissappointed with the album. Tone and song quality were the main reasons for this. I am a big Satriani fan, with a capital B. The guitar playing on the album, while in true Satriani fashion, is amazing. However, it is Satriani's creativity and song writing ability that raises him above others such as YJM as a virtuoso. The album lacks any new developments in his style/playing. Without new developments, the album seems monotonous when compared to his earlier stuff.

Godderz_24
    lol argh it's really bugging me, the main theme of crowd chant is definately from something im sure... does anyone else think that? I cant quite put my finger on it but I swear I've heard it before... good album though :]
    stiff-upper-lip
    ok, i don't why everyone is giving this CD so much praise. i've got pretty much most of his CDs, not all, but most and i can deffinatly say this album doesnt come close to any of those CDs. i mean theres some good tracks on this album, but nothing that stands out. i think Satch has really let himself down on this CD. and Godderz, yeah, its deff from something else. it keeps bugging me.
    rollingstones
    this is an amazing cd. This is actually what got me into joe satriani. I heard it playion somewhere on tv i think and then i bought the album. Then i bought the rest of his cds after hearing this one.