Super Colossal review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Mar 14, 2006
Joe Satriani: Super Colossal

01. Super Colossal - the title basically explains itself. He says that he invisioned seeing a 50ft man walking down the stree, and by god, it does sound impressive. The octave pedal he uses creates this atmosphere where it seems like everything is just incredible in size. Great solo in the center with just the guitar and mad skills. 02. Just Like Lightn'n - this song makes me think of the '50s and '60s. Very few notes here and there in the beginning, and a strong backbone with the drumbeat and bass. Nice display of a deep wah really bring out the vast majority of tones you can obtain with what you have. 03. It's So Good - an amazing song to say the least. Great delay during the song, along with the whammy pedal makeing for some amazing sounds. Think about that perfect day you have dreamed of, this would be the song that is playing is the background. It makes you feel like everything is just so good. 04. Redshift Riderr - this is one of my favorite song on the album. It starts with being very eastern-music like, then drops into a really heavy guitar riff with a subtle lick played over. Great use of pinch harmonics to give that effect of flying through space. The tempo changes up for the solo, and takes on a more easy going riff over the solo. 05. Ten Words - the most warm-hearted song that has ever been played. Every time I listen to this song, it brings back my most happiest memories. This song is very sympathetic, in that it sounds great for all types of occations. Very freedom-fighter sounding. I have played this song many times, and this is the song that sticks in everyones mind when I play through a set. Very heart-warming. 06. A Cool New Way - very jazzy, almost as if you were at a cocktail lounge and the aroma of smoke and alcohol filled the air. Mezmorizing sound with lots of delay, harmonics, and guitaris in the background to make it feel very "whole". 07. One Robots Dream - very unusual song, but you can expect that from an album of Satch's. Very few notes to display what he is feeling, but a few nots go a long way. Very gloomy, and confusing in the matter of anything could come next. 08. The Meaning Of Love - I love the volume swells on this song. He really tries to push the envelope on using the wah pedal through and through. He demostrates a great ability to portray what the meaning of love sounds like. Epic song to say the least. 09. Made Of Tears - cool little bass intro, followed with drums that create this sense of walking down a dark street, taking in a huge city, as if something dreadful has just happened to the world. It encompasses you in this feeling of something looming overhead that is gone unseen. 10. Theme For A Strange World - my god! This is probably the most epic song that I have herd in a while. Very unique use of a lot of the modes. He does quite a lot of string skipping, pinch harmonics, legato, whammy bar usage, and octave changes in this song. Very interesting song, something that you might hear on a distant planet? 11. Movin On - it feels like a new day has dawned, ready for you to explore. The past should not hold you back when you listen to this song. Bigons are bigons and you have everything to lookforward to in the future, and have some fun! Great song, immense that he can use such few notes to display this feeling! 12. A Love Eternal - I don't put this song on that much, it's a little too boring for me. Although it's quiet nice, something that you might dance to at a wedding. Very great "happy" sounding riff. 13. Crowd Chant - haven't you ever wanted to "sing" or rather shout along with what a instrumental guitarist is playing? Well your dreams have come true. This song is incredible; only a few voices multiplied to sound like there are over 300! This is a treat to watch him play at a show, give everyone the feeling of being included.

There are no lyrics, but I belive that the melodies played in these pieces are each so vocal on their own, in that it gives you insite on what Satriani wants to say. One of the most epic, special pieces of musical history. Combining different techniques with amazing playability. Job well done, and another album to go buy and tell your friends about!

Pookie6
    to nic_2090 About how Crowd Chant sound like something that would be played in an NHL game it is. The Minnesota Wild play it whenever someone scored a goal at home, and it's awesome!(i'm a Wild fan)