Surfing With the Alien review by Joe Satriani

Joe Satriani: Surfing With the Alien

This album was WAY ahead of it's time when it was released, and it still sounds great today. Joe mixes several different styles of music in this album, so it never really bores you. The variety is so great, no two songs sound a like, in my ears atleast, and the songs never sulk a long in a very boring and long melody (like most of the instrumental stuff I've heard). Once you've heard the album once, your brain will be asking for another run, and another, and another.

No lyrics, Joe's an instrumental guy. The guitar sounds very vocal in the album, and it works VERY well with the album. If the album had any lyrics or singing, I think the album would be ruined. I prefer the main melody to be in the instruments instead of the vocals anyway, so the lack of vocals is a plus for me.

This is my first Satriani album, though I have heard some stuff from his other albums, so I can't really compare it to others. Though compared to Steve Via's stuff it seems a little more exciting to me. The only downside of the album is that it's only 30 minutes long, though if it was longer it would probably end up being boring or too repetetive. This album is a must buy for any guitarist or music fanatic that likes variety.

Shread_6009
    Nirvana and Green Day cant possibly compare to Satch awsome
    true, but kurt cobain had an original singing voice that was ultimately ruined by grunge wannbe's, still, neither has nearly as much skill with the guitar