Surfing With the Alien review by Joe Satriani

Joe Satriani: Surfing With the Alien

First off this is one the best cds I own. I listen to this CD everyday. The sound is amazing, the songs are fantastic. For those that are already fans of Joe Satriani you have probably already guessed that there was no singing and there is no singing, but that does not prevent this CD from prevailing. Joe uses a wide range of skills in this cd. Example; in Midnight he two-hand taps the entire song, in a majority of the songs he tremolo picks and really shows off his skills as a guitarist. I would like to add that every song shares a story, you just have to listen.

There is actually absolutely no singing in this CD. It's not all bad though like some songs from Dream Theater, the whole no singing thing is great. Occasionaly songs are already fantastic without lyrics. All of the songs on the CD will "mezmerize" you, and you will think wow this sounds amazing. Midnight; one of the best songs on the CD is full of nothing but two-hand tapping, and that song is perfect without lyrics. In a sense Joe's guitar sings like many will tell you. In the song Hill Of The Skull, the guitar sets the mood with a deep downbeat type song, that you can get so much out of, I think it's a sad song but that's just me, You have to draw your own conclusion. All though there are not any lyics I must give this a 10.

This is one of the greatist CDs I have ever owned. Yes it is only about 37 minutes long, but from the very beginning to the very end it is amazing. Example; when you listen to the first song; Surfing with the Alien, you can almost visualize surfing with a "alien". The songs are quite powerful. All of the songs are full of emotion, Always with me, Always with you, is one of the most emotional songs on the CD. The song itself is hard to describe, but once you hear it, you will know what I mean. There's not much to hate unless you like songs that have singing. I would certainly buy this CD again if anything happened to my copy.