The Extremist review by Joe Satriani

• Released: Jul 21, 1992
Joe Satriani: The Extremist

On my opinion "The Extremist" is one of the most varied albums of Joe Satriani. It begins with the Song Friends. I think it's a good choice for the first song of this album. When I listened to it the first time I thaught it sounds powerful but not too powerful which made me curious about the rest of the album. War, the third song, is on my opinion one of the climaxes of this album. It is just a damn good powerfull song. The wah-wah-theme in it, the, typical for Joe, feedbacks at the end of the song and just the whole feeling which is given in the song make it to one of the best ones. Then the album becomes more calm. Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness is an interesting song with a light british touch. Tears in the rain, also a pretty calm song. But they are set on the right position. I mean, an album full of songs like "war" or "why" would be too hard. "Why" is also one of my favourite songs on this album. It has a very strong solo part, which is again supported by a wah-wah pedal. The Extremist ends with "New Blues." Though it seems to be a smooth song it has a strong middle part.

Well, would can we say about lyrics on this album? Nothing. Joe did not use his voice this time. So I give him 10 points (hey, that does not mean that I don't like his voice, but the rating of the album should stay well).

Allright, this is definitely one of the best albums of Joe Satriani. Every song contains Joe Satriani's typical style. I like the song Rubina's Blue Sky happiness very much, beacuse it is something different from the whole album. But as I already mentioned, War and Why are my favourite songs. The crazy themes and great wah-wah solos make them to perfect songs. Well, there is not much which I don't like on this album. It's the song Cryin'. It remembers me too strong on "Rubina" of the "Not Of This Earth" album. So if someone had stolen this album, I would congratulate the thief, because he had gained a wonderful Satriani album; I would also immediately buy me a new one!