Streetcore review by Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros

• Released: Oct 21, 2003
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros: Streetcore

As many of you may know, this is the final Mescaleros album and, excluding possible future bootlegs, the final bit of material to be released by Joe Strummer. This makes the album bittersweet in it's poignancy (particularly the last song on the album). The sound quality is on par with or better than just about anything else out there now. It's mixed well enough for you to be able to hear all the instruments, which is saying a lot because there can, at times, be a lot going on at once. There is a wide variety of musical styles and textures explored throughout the album. These include, jazz, reggae, ska, punk, folk, country, prog, and pop.

Strummer's lyrics became increasingly more poetic over the years, as is notable with his work with The Clash (compare "White Riot" to "Bankrobber" and you'll see what I mean). On Streetcore, the lyrics are as brilliant as ever and only reassure my stance that Strummer very well may have been the greatest lyricist of the past fifty years.

There really isn't much to compare this to except maybe other Mescaleros albums which this is as good or better than. "Get Down Moses," "Long Shadow," and "Silver and Gold" are my personal favorites but his cover of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" (originally recorded for a duet with Johnny Cash) is also quite good. Overall this is one of my favorite albums and I would definitely purchase this again if lost or stolen.

Matt13
    Joe Strummer WAS the greatest lyricist of the past 50 years- just ask any of us whose life he changed. This is certainly the strongest mescaleros album although it is slightly saddening to listen to. Also, try to find a recording of his second to last show at the acton town hall, 15 Nov 2002 ( the one where Mick Jones joined him onstage for the encore ). I think you can get it from the Strummerville website but its limited edition.