The Devil Knows My Name review by John 5

• Released: Apr 2, 2007
John 5: The Devil Knows My Name

Don't try to repeat it as it can be dangerous! With his new album Devil Knows My Name, John 5 for the third time proves he can do magic with his guitar! You would expect something like that from a man who's got his own Signature Fender Telecaster... As the musician claims in one interview, he is constantly writing instrumental stuff and you realize what he means listening to his new album -- 11 pure instrumental songs, full of guitar solos. There are many different styles on the album -- industrial, blues-rock and even country. But metal and heavy rock are prevailing of course, thanx to Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson who John 5 has previously worked with. The artist fuses elements of all those music styles, switching from hard rock to country sometimes within one song to create tracks very intense and furious. For his background band John 5 called his friends and the band is worth the frontman! Musicians like Tommy Clufetos, and Piggy D from Rob Zombie, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, and Jim Root (SlipKnot) play on the album. The record is a lot more diverse than the artist's previous works, here's every sound you can possible get out of guitar. Like the opener First Victim that is done with a violin bow. Of course this wouldn't be the record by John Lowery (which is his real name) without his famous amazing legato licks, like in Dead Art In Plainfield. The track is the most melodic one that features a driving rhythm and a catchy rock riff. Out of 11 tracks there's one cover -- Guns N'Roses' 1980s hit Welcome To The Jungle. It is done with a solo guitar instead of Axl's vocals, but very close to them. Joe Satriani, which the artist admits as one of his guitar geniuses, joins John 5 on The Werewolf Of Westeria. The two guitars in the track are competing with each other in virtuosity and this is the finest cut of the album.

This is the best part of the CD -- there are no dumb, awkward lyrics, making you think of a stupid person that wrote them. Actually there are no lyrics at all, just pure music to enjoy. But the song titles tell a lot themselves if you know where they came from. Most of the songs are referenced to serial killers, like 27 Needles which is about a serial killer Albert Fish, who put 27 needles in his groin, when he went to jail. You'll find lots of scary stories like this if you look for the song names on the Internet. This can be more interesting than Saw III movie!

The CD is very carefully though-out. It may seem at the first listen that all the different guitar sounds are just thrown together, but they are not. Every arrangement and guitar effect is there for a reason. There are a lot of very complex guitar riffs and solos that would take you some effort to play. You can literally take any part of any song on Devil Knows My Name and make it your daily guitar exercise. I'd say He's a technically talented musician, but can you be talented when it comes to technique? It's rather He has spent most of his life practicing guitar and now you can claim he's traded his soul for playing guitar.

tilleking
    I was going to review this, but don't think I'll bother, because I was beaten to it! It's a pretty good album. The first I've heard of his solo career. Some great tracks, some good tracks. I particularly liked 'Welcome to the Jungle'.
    Jackolas
    His mouth looks damn stupid though. Why has he gotta drag his appeal down with a silly image.