The Devil Knows My Name review by John 5

• Released: Apr 2, 2007
John 5: The Devil Knows My Name

This is John 5's third instrumental solo album and it's full of epic shredding, creepy samples, serial killers and guest appearances. It is also his longest album, with most of the songs passing the five minute mark. The album starts off with a violin bow playing what sounds like something out of an old horror movie. It quickly cuts into The Werewolf of Westeria (featuring Joe Satriani), which simply slices your face off, fries it and devours it in front of your lidless eyes (while The Satch watches). After some more heavy guitar riffs and speedy solos, you're hit with Bella Kiss, an easy-going country styled song, leading in to the next track, Black Widow of La Porte. This headbashing track features Jim Root of Slipknot, who does a nice job with adapting to John's riffs. There are two covers in this album; Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N' Roses and Young Thing by Chet Atkins. In the first, John sings Axl's lines with his guitar, with incredible accuracy. Dead Art in Plainfield is a song you'd listen to to feel like a badass. In this song, John emulates Tom Morello's signature on/off toggle switching solo, and pulls it off quite well. The Washing Away of Wrong features Eric Johnson. This is a weird appearance as the song is very heavy compared to Johnson's work. However, it's hard to notice this as the solo he plays fits in very well with the rest of the album.

Instrumental record. The only lyrics you'll hear are from the samples embedded into the songs. This adds to the creepy environment of the album. One particular sample has been glorified in the Harold Rollings Hymn. This is a sample off a song which a serial killer named (obviously) Harold Rollings sang before he was hanged. Obviously, John has done some more reading on serial killers since his last record (almost all of the titles are references to serial killers).

The songs which impressed me the most are The Werewolf of Westeria, Dead Art in Plainfield and The Washing Away of Wrong. All of these tracks contained heavy riffs with intricate solos to compliment them, which is what I love about John 5's work. I love everything about this album. The only thing that annoys me is how little country/bluegrass songs there are. It seems as John 5 releases solo albums, there are less and less bluegrass songs. However, the influence is still found in his solos. With insane solos, roaring riffs, and guests like Piggy D., Joe Satriani, Matt Bissonette, Eric Johnson and Jim Root, this album delivers a kick to the balls you'd be happy to recieve. If it were stolen, I'd understand. Then I'd get another copy.

nin_freak92
    i dont understand why some people judge him by his image and not his guitar playing.....yeah, theres some people that look how they want to, and if he's into it then good for john, keep it up. He's now the guitarist for Rob Zombie though, and yeah, he pretty much co-wrote every song with Manson and Jeordie while they were all three in Marilyn Manson together. But yeah, i definitely think some people that see his image before they listen to his solo material will have doubts before they hear him. keep it comin' J5.
    _zac_
    StringsofBlack
    I have to agree with zac here. It's unbelievably sad that people like maiden4life are actually allowed to voice their opinion. But i guess its best just ignore such naivety and move on.
    haz_uk
    simonzwaan wrote: I bet he does 27 needles of drugs every day he might be good but he looks like a dumbass period
    that's to do with a serial killer who inserted 27 needles into his groin for pleasure, which the prison nurses found after x-raying him during a health check. get your facts straight.
    hippotato7
    Slackerbitch wrote: John 5 is the world's most underrated guitarist. But that's just because he became famous with Marilyn Manson, where he didn't really get to show his abilities. I mean don't get me wrong, I love Manson and it's one of my all time favorite bands, but most people still believe that John is as good a guitarist as the way he played in Manson. Whilst in reality he's a really bad ass guitarist. I'm not a big fan of shredding and solos (like G3), but I love John and he's probably my very favorite guitarist. He's an excellent composer/songwriter as well. The new album has many great songs. But my heart sill belongs to the music he made with Marilyn Manson.
    i agree with the most underrated guitarist in the world part, this guy can play anything
    Slackerbitch
    Kris_HSI
    i just bought this cd and im listening to the song feat joe satriani, its blowing my ****in mind
    Gein
    Emenius Sleepus
    Gein wrote: For everybody calling John 5 a fag... I know this gets brought up everywhere he is, but... He impregnated Aria Giovanni.
    lol case closed. I'm gonna check this one out methinks
    Ultra_goose
    This albums brilliant. Amazing guitarist. Every metal guitarist should listen to it. Some good ideas put together. The guys a musical genius, even if it isn't your taste.
    AnarchyGuitarst
    john 5 looks like a big fag in that picture...but he's a great guitarist and his solo stuff is always badass.
    darkmetallica
    i gotta say this guy is AMAZING! but jimmy page did the violin bow accross the strings first
    maiden4life
    Lee Mc
    zed leppelin : i want to see him on g3 i think that would kick ass shellshock1911 : this guy may be able to play guitar well, but he looks stupid as shit, in fact he doesn't even look like a human I thought he would be great with G3 after his second album and i would love to see it and John aint human at all he's and inhuman shreading machine!! P.S. will people stop commenting negatively about his image, who cares what he looks like or how he wares his makeup its his life and he can do it if he wants to!!
    shellshock1911
    tasty licks
    lol he looks like such a dumbass, but honestly, the negative attention.... thats really all he wants with that image (just like manson). he makes more money that way
    RockhavenGuitar
    _zac_ wrote: lmao seen the pic and i gotta call this guy a fag. Who evers in the pic...UR A FAG! are you retarded? one, the picture is of JOHN 5 as the caption states you ****ing douchebag, also he is an awesome guitarist so who cares what he ****ing looks like? another perfect example of the average intelligence of Ultimate-Guitar users
    My thoughts exactly. John 5 is an amazing guitarist, close to yngwie malmsteen (maiden4life probably has no idea who that is) and you should listen to him before judging him. This CD is incredible.
    Magero
    His last album was ****ing incredible. I was blown away that this was the man who wasted so much time with Manson. Can't wait to here this album.
    vIsIbleNoIsE
    i listened to one of his songs that was on youtube "It may seem at the first listen that all the different guitar sounds are just thrown together..." enough said.
    Gorilla Fingers
    zed leppelin wrote: i want to see him on g3 i think that would kick ass
    Doesn't strike me as G3 material, but he's good no doubt
    electric7
    even though he creeps me out...a lot...he's a good musician. good for him for releasing this.
    loler
    _sam_ wrote: so wait, whos playing for manson now?
    Tim Skold :\
    bdubbs4420
    he looks like a joke I mean he can look however he wants I could care less cuz his guitar playing is actaully really good not the best but I mean shit hes pretty good
    RG_FANMAN
    27 Needles is about Albert Fish?....that's where Ginger Fish got his stage name. I'm really interested in this Cd. I've heard John do some chickin pickin, and it was intense!
    XibanezedgeX
    i first heard him on the radio the other week with the song "27 needles" it just blew me away from the amazing blend of virtoistic shred that sounded at times like PG to a country chickenpicking reminding me of buckethead
    simonzwaan