The Devil Knows My Name review by John 5

• Released: Apr 2, 2007
John 5: The Devil Knows My Name

The Devil Knows my name is more or less an instrumental metal album with a few twists. John 5 captures many beautiful tones on this album using his signature Telecaster and shows off his technique with enough skill to make even the greatest guitarist's do a double take on what they just heard. There is a lot of metal track on here, 'The Werewolf Of Westeria' is quite impressive, as is '27 Needles' with it's "chicken picking" showing off John 5's versatility on his instrument. The solo's on this album are especially good, due to John painstakingly doubling over them to sweeten their tone. There's some softer tracks on the album, 'Bella Kiss' is a clean single guitar playing throughout the song. 'Young Thing' is a fun old fashion blues number. Let's not forget about the instrumental cover of Gun's and Roses classic "Welcome to the Jungle" which is a nice treat for anybody who enjoys the instrumentation of Gun's but isn't a fan of Axl's voice.

No lyrics on the album. But there is some spoken word passages on '27 Needles' for example telling of how serial killer put 27 needles into his pelvic region as a sick form of pleasure. There's one or two other songs which there's spoken words telling part of the story of the serial killer that inspired the song title.

Well as this being virtually the first time I've heard any of John 5's work I was very impressed I'm looking into getting his 2 previous album's. I'd recommend this album to anybody who enjoys metal or even just some impressive guitar work. It may not be my favorite instrumental album, but it's up there. If this album was lost or stolen I would likely replace it. I'm sure I'll be spending much time in the near future trying to duplicate sounds and lines from this album in my own.

idpmofo
    one of the best metal instrumental albums to come out in past 10 years. This is not just a "show off" record. Songs have simple enough rhythms and melodys to enjoy without thinking, but has enough twists and tricks to impress any level guitarist. As fun to listen to as it is to play
    kirkwannabe
    He's...really...really creepy. But I could care less because he influences my songwriting a LOT, and he's an insane guitarist.
    gareno
    this guy is really evil and of course he is good the devil wouldn't chose someone that sucks to be serve him in the music industry he only chooses the good stuff like john 5 and marilyn manson but people don't want to admit that they're evil