Vertigo review by John 5

• Released: Aug 31, 2004
John 5: Vertigo

Wow, there are a lot of sounds to talk about. He can go from a catchy country riff like on Zugg Island Convict, to heavy, creepy solos like on Vertigo. This album was my first introduction to Shred so it pretty much blew me away. John 5 is one of my favorite guitarists because, when it comes down to it, he's just a damn good guitarist. People refuse to give him a chance because of his image, why? So you don't like the way he looks, does it really matter? Anyway, back to the sound. Musically this album makes children wet themselves at the sheer awesomeness. John 5 also shows a lot of his chops. There are many eerie voices used, like in Vertigo and Zugg Island Convict. The thing I like about this album is that no 2 songs are alike. They all sound like they're made from different people. So in conclusion, this album's sound is so awesome it'll pregnate your mom and not pay child support.

No words really, unless you count the little phrases here and there. Gems like, "You can kiss my ass!" and "Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me, for the bible tells me so." But I'll give it a 10 for kicks.

This album is like nothing I've ever heard. If this album was lost I'd punch myself into a coma. If it was stolen I'd stare at the ground and cry for long periods of time while watching Lifetime eating ice cream gallons at a time, reflecting on why God punishes me so.

strong_wizard
    The album has the same style (in terms of what the artist was doing) as Paul Gilbert's 'Get out of my yard', if you like this album, then that album won't fail to please.
    idpmofo
    great variety and John5 made country licks cool for metal again. His version of "Sugarfoot Rag" is a must hear for any guitarist
    I remember a quote by Vai which said he was the brightest talent to come out for a long time.
    Vai is correct