Sunrise Over Sea review by John Butler Trio

• Released: Mar 8, 2004
John Butler Trio: Sunrise Over Sea

The sound on this album is absolutely amazing. I was not sure what to expect when I bought it because I had only read about them, not heard them. Trust me, it was a pleasant surprise. They use a variety of instruments to create their amazing sounds, including a stand up bass, banjo, and Butler's 11-string (without the high octave G) Washburn acoustic guitar plugged into a 1975 Marshall Super Lead.

The lyrics on this album convey the message well, as in "Treat Yo Mama" when Butler sings "Don't call me hippie cause the way that I look." Butler's voice is amazing and fits in well with his great guitar playing.

This album is one of the best I have ever bought. The warm, lush tones of the guitar and the added sound of the banjo and other instruments makes this album a wonderful listen. "Zebra" is one of the catchiest songs ever, I think. "Seeing Angels" is a beautiful love song, and "Peaches And Cream" involves some wonderful guitar playing, as do all of the songs on the album. If it were stolen I would most definitely buy it again.