Letur-Lefr review by John Frusciante

• Released: Jul 17, 2012
John Frusciante: Letur-Lefr

An important note to enjoy this album is to not compare, instead listen. Unique timing patterns and drum beats keep you locked in, while well placed synthesizer parts make the songs feel complete. "In Your Light" displays both of these greatly, with wonderful synth runs. Immediately after, you are disoriented by this hectic wall of noise. It can be a good or bad thing, depending on how far you want to dive into that experimental area. John is able to bring his style of chord progressions from guitar, over to synthesizer in 909 Day; so make no mistake that this is undoubtedly a Frusciante record, just unique. "Glowe" may sound familiar to those who listened to "The Empyrean", as it's a remix of the melody found in the last half of that song, which will give you a good idea on exactly what this album is all about. Since this is on Ultimate-Guitar, I have to talk about the guitar! No need to panic, there is plenty of guitar mixed into this EP, guitar has simply taken a different role this time round, mainly supplementing the music, rather being the leader. "In Your Light", and "909 Day" contain very signature styled solo's you'd expect. This EP is solid soundwise for the open minded.

I really like the lyrics, they have a surreal feel to them, where you can just let your mind float off and enjoy the music. The lyrics fit well with some rather epic parts in the album. For example, in "In My Light", John sings "I see the sun looking down at me, in my light, I can't read the signs", all the while this entrancing synth sweeps is playing in the background, making for one of the more memorable moments on the album. "FM" features rapper, famous from Wu Tang Clan RZA, and the lyrics fit out from the rest of the album, taken out of the trippy surreal world of John, and into the almost cold world of rap and hip hop. Lyrics like "Got a fully loaded notebook and my tongues the gun, spit like an ak, Come from Compton C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A" give it that old school rap feeling, which should be no surprise. While it fit out from the rest of the EP, it's a breathe of fresh air. "In My Light" and "In Your Eyes", contain those addicting falsetto vocals that Froosh & Chili Pepper fans love so much, and those two songs are strong enough vocally to keep coming back for more.

John's experimental attitude leads him to progressive synth pop. With heavy emphasis on drum tracks and synthesizer, Chili Pepper fans may be left shocked and confused, while dedicated fans of John's music will feel right at home with this EP. It may take a few listens to get the feel for it, but it doesn't take long before you're coming back to listen to the addictive "In Your Eyes" or "Glowe". What I love most is that this is just an EP, merely a taste of what we will be getting in "PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone", which will have more of everything. More guitar, more synth, more drums, more John.