Letur-Lefr review by John Frusciante

• Released: Jul 17, 2012
John Frusciante: Letur-Lefr

John Frusciante is back with his new 5 song EP, "Letur-Lefr", an electronic album unlike anything we've heard from him thus far. All of the sounds are primarily done on a computer with some guitar work as well. John has switched from his trusty Strat to a Yamaha SG which provides a different tone than some of the classic JF riffs.

Once again, John knows how to tickle me with his deep and profound lyrics. In my opinion, the 5th and final track, "In My Light", are some of his best to date. The tracks John only really "sings" on are "In Your Eyes" and "In My Light". He is briefly heard on "909 Day" and "FM". Multiple rap artists can be heard on this EP including RZA, Masia One and Kinetic 9. Now, I've never heard of any of them, and rap isn't really my cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed each song they were on.

Overall, this was a fantastic little dose of what John Frusciante has been up to as of late. In my honest opinion, this is one of his best. It stacks up with "Shadows" and "The Empyrean". I felt pure elation when I put the first song on and it lasted long after the final track was over. The thing I love most about it is his lyrics. They are beautiful, they do something inside of me when I hear them and I love it. The thing I hate about it is also the lyrics. Or the lack there of. Only 2 songs have real, actual lyrics for the entirety of the song written by John. Only briefly do you hear him on "909 Day" and "FM" is are written by the mc's. If it was stolen from me, I'd beat the guy with a lead pipe, then hug him for loving John Frusciante as much as I do. *Fun Fact: the first track, "In Your Eyes" is the sequel to the final track, "In My Light", making the album come to a full circle. This is a must buy, not just for a John Frusciante fan, but for a music fan.