Letur-Lefr review by John Frusciante

• Released: Jul 17, 2012
John Frusciante: Letur-Lefr

John Frusciante has recently shared his new musical innovations with us on "Letur-Lefr". Recently stating on his website how he has started experimenting with electronic music and synthysisers, and moving away from rock music which he is most familiar with. While John still plays guitar on "Letur-Lefr", it's not meant to be the lead instrument, and is usually in the background. John has really reached out now and collaborates with rappers such as RZA and Rugged Monk on songs. Over all, although this is a entirely new sound for Frusciante, and while it may take a while to get into, after 3-4 listens, you'll love it. Just a warning though, this is nothing like any Red Hot Chili Peppers album, don't buy it thinking it's going to be "Stadium Arcadium II"!

The lyrics in "Letur-Lefr" aren't as memorable as other records he has sang on, such as "Shadows Collide With People" and even "Niandra Lades". Of course, John's voice is still amazing, and his vocal range is incredible, but some of his lyrics are as cryptic as ever. There is also a feature artist on every song, such as "FM" and "In My Light", which features RZA's rapping, and in the latter, some pretty cool add-ons to John's verses which I love. "Glowe" is completely instrumental, and there's not too much singing in "909 Day". John's wife Nicole Turley also features on "IN Your Eyes", the albums first track. The lyrics work so well with the synth and drum machine beats!

"Letur-Lefr" is a walk through the mind of one of the greatest musicians of the last 20 years, and his constantly evolving styles and genres. The only thing I didn't like was how short it was! 15 minutes is not enough to satisfy, thankfully "PBX" (John's other synth-pop record coming out this year, search it up) will be out soonish. "Letur-Lefr", according to Frusciante, is about two people becoming one, and this links the first song to the last up like a 20 tonne chain. Stand out tracks are definitely "In Your Eyes", "FM" and "In My Light". "Letur-Lefr" is a eye opening experience into John's new genre he's experimenting with, and it's great. Although extremely short (and absent of guitar, it IS there, but there's so little of his awesome little riffs and fills!), this is a really, really great EP, if you into electronic music like Depeche Mode or even the Wu-Tang Clan, I recommend this EP. It's probably the best EP to come out at all this year, get it! P.S. If the review seems shitty, don't blame me, it's my first, and you gotta start somewhere!

JFisJC
    AmirT wrote: Am I the only one to find it shite, regarding I like Frusciante. Everyone goes to "d*ck-sucking"-mode just because Frusciante is the one who made it. Even if he'd do a Nicki Minaj cover people would go crazy.
    I went crazy over it because it was genuinely good. And if John did a Niki Minaj cover, that cover would be 10x better than the original.
    swave75
    I always liked his solo stuff and through the years I just prefer him solo than in RHCP.
    Miyagi84
    It must be really, really nice to have had so much success and so much money that you can walk away from being the coolest guitarist in one of the coolest bands because your bored, only to go home and make MORE music all day and night.
    Sound_Garden_X
    I've listened to this album at least 2o times now and I just can't seem to get into to. I enjoy listening to it but it doesn't give me the kick that his other albums do. It's his first time trying this style so I'll totally pick up the next one as well. I think I just need a few more listens like I did with "Smile From the Streets You Hold"
    TimTheWizard
    this sound great for an EP. It's weird and experimental, still getting into it but it's far out the most interesting I've heard this year already except for Tame Impala's new single
    TDKshorty
    I love this EP haha, it's amazing. Bringing up the fact that there's not much guitar, everyone is forgetting the greatest mutherf-ing guitar part on there. That lead part of "Glowe" around :45, I'm confident that's guitar and it blows my mind.
    jrcsgtpeppers
    i give this album/ep a 10/10 each song is amazing to me the synths are amazing, the guitars are amazing, the vocals are super amazing. the ideas are great, the feels are great. nothing bad about this album at all.
    '93
    omg its meant to come in the post soon...i cant wait for it as a side not did you guys check out fleas new ep. very good as well
    AmirT
    Superperfex
    This is one EP that you will have on repeat for a while, at least until PBX Funicular Intaglio comes out this September. Glowe and 909 Day stand out the most to me.
    Sir9ToeSexy
    Every song that Frusciante covers sounds 10 times better than the original, check out his covers of SOS and How Deep is Your Love on youtube, your life will never be the same
    magarez
    and also tiny dancer is awesome!
    rhn94
    -xCaMRocKx-
    This is really different, even for John. It's definitely interesting, and on first listen I can hear flashes of brilliance, but I think it'll take a few listens for me to decode it and make sense of it all. It might not sound like it from what I'm saying, but I do like it! If you liked this, definitely check out Flea's new EP, Helen Burns too.
    Ironpriest
    This bis my favorite release of the year so far... And it's only 17 minutes long!!
    unknownorigin84
    Big fan of Frusciante just wondering why he's made this EP it's such a departure from himself and what he is known for it just doesn't work and sounds shite and the rapping is cringeworthy nothing original here just posturing like usual rant over I'm off to eat a carvel cake.
    CorbeauNoir
    It's shit. It really kills me to say that since I'm a gigantic fan of Frusciante's work and was thrilled at the prospect of him leaving RHCP to focus on his solo work but frankly even the stuff he made when he was addicted to heroin sounds more musically-coherent than this mess. You know something's off the mark when the only half-decent track is one where JF essentially plays a cameo role in a RZA rap. In Your Eyes literally sounds like he recorded himself pounding a synth with boxing gloves at five different time signatures and overlaid them on top of one another without the slightest concern for how awful it would sound. I know John likes to push the envelope sometimes but I'm seriously praying PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone swings the pendulum back a little, there's no way I could take a full LP worth of this.
    Ironpriest
    Nope...this music is far too complex and thought out to be the ramblings of an addict
    Jasperyeah
    rhn94 wrote: Selling out on the internet: 1) A band becoming popular with music you don't like. 2) A band becoming more popular than a band you think should be popular. In this case you would call the more popular band a sellout but if the case occurs the other way around, you wouldn't do so. I had hope for the future..... How can we get rid of bad music if we quarrel amongst ourselves?
    What is bad music?