Niandra Lades And Usually Just A T-Shirt review by John Frusciante

• Released: Jan 1, 1994
John Frusciante: Niandra Lades And Usually Just A T-Shirt

I have always loved the music of Red Hot Chili Peppers. And my favorite of the band was John Frusciante. When I heard that John has his own solo records I thought maybe sometime and last week when I was watching Off the map DVD I heared this wonderfuly beautiful song Usually Just A T-shirt Untitled 3, and I decided I must hear the whole album. When I was copying the songs to my mp3 player I read about the album and dicovered that half of the record was when John left the band. Niandra LaDes is wonderful, beutiful sometimes sad album, sometimes you want to cry from hapiness that you hear in the album and sometimes you found yourself siting stoned and listening to songs like my smile is a rifle or you're pussys glued to a building on fire. Usually Just A T-shirt is absolute oposite.The whole album is so psichedelic so weird and creepy.Some songs starts with lovely riffs and ends with weird singing and noises.

The lyrics are weird and creepy and genius. When I heared the line "And I'm sick of the fans that folows me around" you understand that John is puting his emotions to this record. Ofcourse sometimes the lyrics doesnt't even rhyme but it makes the music even weirder and more great. Now John is a great singer. But on this record he is terrible. But I love that. Because his voice is so f--ked (thanks to drugs) and raw it makes it sound very unique.

I wouldn't compare this album to other albums because it's so unique. The most impresive songs are Untitled 3, 4, 13, 10, 9, and almost all song of Niandra LaDes. I love that weird atmosphere and singing that sound very creepy. I think that this album is a one big ghost. I hate that some songs on Niandra LaDes went a bit more to pop but only some.

drtudor
    with regard to the review posted on June 10th 2005, do you know what you are talking about??? TRWFOTD was release some 6/7 AFTER niandra, and yeh sure they are more classic song structures, you have to appreciate each album on its own merits, not always comparing it to another. Both are fantastic, but in different ways!
    i agree. you can hear the difference of frusciante's state of mind between niandram lades and trowftd
    strong_wizard
    Dont like this album. June 10 2005 is right, perfectly. Saying "dont compare it" is just game for biasm, the album's a mess, and solo work needs to be cleaned up before releasing- rather than using sloppyness as a gimick.