Shadows Collide With People review by John Frusciante

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
John Frusciante: Shadows Collide With People

When I first listened to this album, it totally blew me away! I have been a fan of both John Frusciante's solo work and his work with the Red Hot Chili Peppers (as well as RHCP work from before the days of Frusciante), but the amount of emotion that I got from "Shadows Collide With People" was not expected. John's first solo album "Niandra LaDes & Usually Just A T-shirt" was a emotionally trip into the mixed up and confused life of Frusciante, using very powerful songs that would only match the tastes of true Frusciante fans. This album however contains just as much emotion and thought that his first album did, but this time he's managed to work it into music that fits the taste of a wider range of rock listeners. John's love for 80's synth rock groups is exposed in this album through more experimental tracks such as "-00ghost27" and "23gointoend", which sound more like something you except to hear on David Bowie's "All Saints" record. Instead of using power solos that just use as many high notes as possible, John manages to create very simple and melodic riffs that can capture the hearts of many and live in their memories. Whether you've heard John's previous work before doesn't matter as it has just the slightest touch of RHCP's new style to pull in their fans (not to mention both Chad Smith and Flea lend their skills to this record).

One word... awesome! Very thoughtful lyrics that get right into the hearts, minds and souls of every living person, exposing the pains and highs that John has experienced, but they are pains and highs that just about everyone can relate to. The only song where the lyrics are let down is in a song titled "Regret" where he only uses two lines of lyrics, but thet are used in such a way that makes them the most powerful on the album. John's singing has improved in heaps and bounds, and the use of many vocal harmonies are definitely something to impress any vocalist.

This album retains the emotion of "Niandra LaDes" and the melodic tunes of "To Record Only Water For Ten Days", but all is intensified, making one hell of a record that I'm sure a lot will be able to appreciate.