Shadows Collide With People review by John Frusciante

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
John Frusciante: Shadows Collide With People

John Frusciante blends many sounds, some '50s two-step stuff, some '60s sounding stuff that reminds me of Jackson Browne, but he still isn't above slow, haunting, artsy synthesizer solos. There could be a story with this album if you listen close enough there are echos of John's declaration of his heroin habit he kicked years ago. John focused on the artsy side of rock, using melodic, mellow rock that is very pleasing, this is notable album in my opinion.

The lyrics are interesting, they seem somewhat random, but center around a point. Choruses are rarely used in the songs, its like one long, flowing poem. The lyrics all fit the music perfectly, its actually on the amazing side. John Frusciante is a good singer, he has one of the strongest falsettos in the music industry and an otherwise soft, pleasing voice.

It's a very unique album, but I think "Wednesday's Song" sounds like Jackson Browne's work in the intro. My favorite songs on the album are "Song To Sing When I'm Lonely" and "Wednesday's Song." I love how mellow it is and how abstract the sound is, I wasn't too thrilled though because I don't tend to like mellow music. I wouldn't buy it again (I've backed it up on my computer), but instead I would probably buy another CD of Mr. John Frusciante.

drtudor
    i could have done without all the synth stuff, but its still a great album.