Shadows Collide With People review by John Frusciante

• Released: Feb 24, 2004
John Frusciante: Shadows Collide With People

Frusciante's solo work is a bit of a stray from his RHCP stuff, as this album is mostly acoustic work with lead electric guitar for fills and solos. As always, his tone is spectacular. The music is calming, warm, and smooth. A real easy listening album compared to the franticness of some of RHCP's stuff. It's a relaxing album overall, but isn't boring or generic in any way. If you're into acoustic stuff this will definitely appeal to you, as well as the RHCP fans attracted to the overall guitar sound of Frusciante, and an obviously more expanded sound of Frusciante singing (outside of harmonizing and doing backgroun vocals for RHCP).

I really like the sound of Frusciante's voice. In my opinion it's better than Anthony Kiedis's voice. His vocals are pretty consistantly good on this album, but some songs are noticeably straight-forward and basic songwriting-wise. Some songs come off sounding less like songs and more like letters or confessions over acoustic work. I'm not saying it's horrible, it's just a little disappointing at times, since we all know Frusciante is a brilliant man.

Overall, it's a calm, soft, easy listening album. It's the perfect album for when I don't want to hear insane rock/metal stuff. It's soothing, and pretty relaxing. An album you can fall asleep to, but it's not boring by any means. I think it's his best, but Curtains is a fair match for it. I like "Omission", "Everyperson", "Ricky", and "Second Walk" the most. I love Frusciante's voice, it's absolutely for the type of music it is, he's a very emotional singer. The only thing I can dislike about it is the somewhat noticeable filler songs, a case of an album being ~18 tracks, when it should have been maybe 14. If it was compressed without the filler, I feel this album would be one of my favorites. It has a lot of great songs, and has actually made me a bigger fan of Froosh himself than RHCP. Great album, perfect start for those curious about what Froosh does behind the scenes.

IMABBALLPLAYER
    I really like all the synth on this album, especially the beginning of Carvel.
    WhiteStripesIII
    Get the acoustic version then
    TooFast
    WhiteStripesIII wrote: drtudor wrote: i could have done without all the synth stuff, but its still a great album. Get the acoustic version then
    Yeah. I like the acoustic Song To Sing When I'm Lonely over the normal one, but I prefer the normal This Cold to the acoustic.
    A7X4life123
    great album!! deffinitly worth buying, every song has a great meaning, with equaly satisfying vocals and guitar to back it.